LaunchBox Community Forums

Problem Exiting Dolphin from BigBox

clguy24

I am using an xbox360 controller. I can open the pause screen with start+select in any emulator/game I have set up. But when I choose to exit a game when using Dolphin (i.e. gamecube rom), the menu goes away and the emulation returns and continues running. If I alt+tab, I see four items: the emulation, dolphin, a blank screen, and bigbox (see attached image). If I alt+tab so that the blank screen is selected, it shows the game over screen from big box, and then I am returned to the big box menu. But the emulation continues to run. The only way to close the game is to select the emulation using alt+tab and use the escape key on my keyboard. But I would like to not use a keyboard at all and rely solely on my xbox360 controller.

I have no issues quitting games from any other emulator I have set up in bigbox. Dolphin is the only one that does not behave as expected. Attached are some of my settings. This is driving me crazy, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!

1.png

2.png

Is the issue exiting from within the game or from the Exit option in the Pause menu?

If it is from within the game you need to make sure your AHK is inside the "Running AHK" tab.

Also I recommend changing that AHK for Exit you have. That version is a hard close and can, in some emulators, mess with save states when closing. The one below is better to use.

$Esc::
{
    WinClose, ahk_exe {{{StartupEXE}}}
}

• Thanks 1

I changed the AHK as you suggested.

My problem is that the emulation does not automatically close when I select exit game from the big box pause menu. When I select exit game, I am returned to the game and the emulation continues to run. Pressing escape on my keyboard closes Dolphin, but I do not want to use a keyboard. With every other emulator I use, simply selecting exit game from the big box pause menu closes the emulator without issue.

14 minutes ago, clguy24 said:

I changed the AHK as you suggested.

My problem is that the emulation does not automatically close when I select exit game from the big box pause menu. When I select exit game, I am returned to the game and the emulation continues to run. Pressing escape on my keyboard closes Dolphin, but I do not want to use a keyboard. With every other emulator I use, simply selecting exit game from the big box pause menu closes the emulator without issue.

Ok. Remove the AHK you have in the Exit AHK tab. It is not needed. Even the default text in the tab tells you an AHK is not needed since Dolphin uses "Escape" by default. The "Exit AHK" tab is only used for the Pause menu's exit command if one is needed, but for Dolphin it is not.

Does it work with it removed from there?

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm having the same problem. i'm running the default AHK settings (mines was blank) . i came across this thread and dolphin will not exit from the pause screen when using my xbox one controller. if i press escape on the keyboard, that works fine. I thought pressing exit from the pause screen would be the same as pressing escape on the keyboard, but that's not working for me. any suggestions?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

anyone else still having this issue, because I do...tried resetting the ahk script which was ;-text only...removed that text again. Pressing esc on the keyboard works fine but the exit in the pause menu does nothing (it does in every other emulator, but not dolphin).

Anyone found a solution?

57 minutes ago, Celsius said:

anyone else still having this issue, because I do...tried resetting the ahk script which was ;-text only...removed that text again. Pressing esc on the keyboard works fine but the exit in the pause menu does nothing (it does in every other emulator, but not dolphin).

Anyone found a solution?

Any chance you are running Dolphin as Admin?

Just tested Dolphin on a few builds and it closes fine without an AHK from either the controls I mapped for exit or from the Exit option on the pause menu.

Also is this from LB or BB that it is not working? Or both?

1 hour ago, Retro808 said:

Any chance you are running Dolphin as Admin?

Just tested Dolphin on a few builds and it closes fine without an AHK from either the controls I mapped for exit or from the Exit option on the pause menu.

Also is this from LB or BB that it is not working? Or both?

#facepalm

Thank you, didn't know I checked 'run as administrator' 

SOLVED

• 7 months later...

Well pretty much what I did last night after reading this was go in LB. Manage Emulators. Pick Dolphin from the list. Click Edit button. Then in dolphin emulator settings, go to Pause Menu then uncheck the box that says Pause Screen and disable it. No pause screen = no stupid code to enter & no crashing. Happy Gaming

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/11/2022 at 6:39 AM, TrexThunderX10 said:

Well pretty much what I did last night after reading this was go in LB. Manage Emulators. Pick Dolphin from the list. Click Edit button. Then in dolphin emulator settings, go to Pause Menu then uncheck the box that says Pause Screen and disable it. No pause screen = no stupid code to enter & no crashing. Happy Gaming

THANK YOU!!! This solved it for me and i am now a happy gamer!