LaunchBox Community Forums

N64 Emulator

bc320

I have a windows 10 64bit that I am setting up for retro gaming.  I see in a pin post that Mupen64plus+GlideN64+Gui is recommended over project 64 because of the malware associated with the 2.X release of project 64.  The "free" version of Mupen64 for windows is 32bit, not 64bit.  The 64bit requires a patreon donation of $1/month.  So $12/per year in perpetuity.  Is it worth some expense?  I don't mind spending a few dollars on a good N64 emulator but not 1 year worth and definitely not more then 1 year.  Has anyone tried the newest release of project 64 2.3.2?  Is it still full of malware/bloatware?

I am looking for recommendations for a N64 emulator. I downloaded the 32but version of Mupen64 that is free but my dumba$$ can't seem to install it.  I also have the older version of Project64 and that seems to work well but it is old.  

Yeah at the time of the recommendation Mupen64 + GUI was not behind a pay wall. PJ64 2.3.2 is fine and no adware but there is a potential nag screen which can be disabled in the ini file.

Nowadays I recommend using Retroarch and the Mupen64plus core (it has GLideN64 built in) or you can just use the command line version of Mupen64 or find a copy of the pay walled one.