LaunchBox Community Forums

NES Lauchbox/BigBox weirdness

LCS213

Hello, I'm using Launchbox 10.9 with Retroarch 1.8.2 with Nestopia 1.5

When I launch an NES game from Launchbox or Bigbox, instead of getting the start screen, I get video playback.  My controllers no longer work properly (they do in the LB/BB UI), and the only thing that works is my dpad which advances the video.  If I press down it dumps me into retroarch.  Does anyone have any idea what's going on here??

So I'm getting a similar problem with RetroArch (1.8.4), but it only happens when I use Big Box. It also happens with the MAME core in RetroArch, for me (I tried it with the Mesen-NES core, and it happens with that as well). The error message I get, once I open up the RetroArch menu (I use the keyboard to do that) is "Port Mapping Failed". 

Like I said, I haven't had the issue when I launch a game from Launch Box itself, only with Big Box. I think the difference is that I don't use a controller to control my Launch Box UI, only Big Box. Makes me wonder if there's some kind of conflict there.

I notice that pressing Select on my controller opens up the MAME config menu, which means that Select is pressing Tab (unless there's another key for that menu). So the controller is still putting in inputs, but it's not mapping properly.

I think I might have figured out the source of the problem - have you made any hotkeys in Big Box/Launch Box that you also use in RetroArch? I made turning the volume up/down the same button combinations (pushing down on the left thumbstick + d-pad right/left), and I noticed that the issue would start right away because the first thing I do in RetroArch is use the hotkeys to turn the volume down a bit. I'm assuming there's some kind of conflict going on.

For now, I just undid those button hotkey combinations in Big Box. I didn't use them a whole lot anyways because if you have one of the keys assigned to another function, it will do both, instead of just the one assigned to the hotkey combination. I suppose the trick is to save some buttons to not do anything at all when pressed by itself, but to use 2 different button combinations assign to the same button, if that makes sense... That way, it only does 1 thing at a time.

Hmm, I'll have to check that out.  It's strange that it would only happen with Nestopia through retroarch.  Keep in mind, it goes right to video playback upon entering a game.  I don't even hit any keys.  I'm wondering if it's possible to just uninstall the nestopia core from retroarch and then reinstall it.  Is that possible?  

On 1/21/2020 at 9:43 AM, LCS213 said:

Hmm, I'll have to check that out.  It's strange that it would only happen with Nestopia through retroarch.  Keep in mind, it goes right to video playback upon entering a game.  I don't even hit any keys.  I'm wondering if it's possible to just uninstall the nestopia core from retroarch and then reinstall it.  Is that possible?  

It happens with any core for me, at least once I hit a button combo that Big Box was using. Makes me wonder if we're having separate (although maybe related?) issues. 

On 1/20/2020 at 7:03 PM, PurpleTentacle said:

I think I might have figured out the source of the problem - have you made any hotkeys in Big Box/Launch Box that you also use in RetroArch? I made turning the volume up/down the same button combinations (pushing down on the left thumbstick + d-pad right/left), and I noticed that the issue would start right away because the first thing I do in RetroArch is use the hotkeys to turn the volume down a bit. I'm assuming there's some kind of conflict going on.

For now, I just undid those button hotkey combinations in Big Box. I didn't use them a whole lot anyways because if you have one of the keys assigned to another function, it will do both, instead of just the one assigned to the hotkey combination. I suppose the trick is to save some buttons to not do anything at all when pressed by itself, but to use 2 different button combinations assign to the same button, if that makes sense... That way, it only does 1 thing at a time.

Well, here's the thing...I don't have this issue using other emulators in Retroarch through Launchbox/Bigbox.  I also deleted out my Nestopia core out of retroarch, as well as reinstalled Retroarch, still the same issue.  If I run Nestopia as the default emulator for NES, it works.  Sort of.  I get an error for an invalid file, but then using the menu I can load a rom file and it plays fine.  I just don't get it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

More for history's sake in case anyone in the future has this problem...I figured out what was going on.  When I imported my NES roms, Launchbox was also importing .mp4 files from a subfolder below where my roms were stored.  I discovered this when I cleared out my NES platform and started from scratch.  So instead of importing from folder, I chose the option to import individual files and selected all from my rom folder.  That did the trick.