LaunchBox Community Forums

Importing a hack arcade rom

Lerxt2112

Hey LB peeps,

There is a Galaga hacked Rom (fast shoot) that I like playing sometimes. Right now I have to start it directly in Mame. The game is in the Galaga zipped folder so I copied that one to my desk top and unzipped, took the hack one out of there and re-zipped and put in my mama directory. I tried to import it into LaunchBox but it failed. I’m sure there is a way to get it where I can add to LB. Hopefully I’ve explained pretty good. Anyone know how I can import it?

Thanks in Advance!

MAME is particular about how the rom files are organized, especially if it isn't a fully merged set. If you did a Mame Arcade Full Set Import (see snap below) then it will already be imported assuming you have a complete MAME rom set:

Capture2.thumb.JPG.4aa2c2250b5638a31026af422f669651.JPGIf you used that feature then if you right click on the game you will see all the various versions of that game.  You can click on it and it will play.  When importing it will prioritize which game to default based on what you tell LB (i.e., North America, Japan, etc.). 

Capture4.JPG.bee425ec782aa7d46e9a8de8e763f2f8.JPGIf the version of the game you want is not set as default you can do that by opening the Edit window of the game and selecting the version of the game you would like and hitting "Make Default".  Keep in mind if you do a full MAME import again that depending on what region you select at import you might have to re-select the default again. 

Capture.thumb.JPG.015f35d626ed2c4ac80f69c473b088b2.JPG

Edited by sundogak

On 2/13/2020 at 9:38 PM, sundogak said:

MAME is particular about how the rom files are organized, especially if it isn't a fully merged set. If you did a Mame Arcade Full Set Import (see snap below) then it will already be imported assuming you have a complete MAME rom set:

Capture2.thumb.JPG.4aa2c2250b5638a31026af422f669651.JPGIf you used that feature then if you right click on the game you will see all the various versions of that game.  You can click on it and it will play.  When importing it will prioritize which game to default based on what you tell LB (i.e., North America, Japan, etc.). 

Capture4.JPG.bee425ec782aa7d46e9a8de8e763f2f8.JPGIf the version of the game you want is not set as default you can do that by opening the Edit window of the game and selecting the version of the game you would like and hitting "Make Default".  Keep in mind if you do a full MAME import again that depending on what region you select at import you might have to re-select the default again. 

Capture.thumb.JPG.015f35d626ed2c4ac80f69c473b088b2.JPG

Thanks a lot for taking the time to explain. Unfortunately when I imported the Mame full set, for some reason, it imported all of the Galaga games you’re showing except the fast shoot hack! ???

Mame picks art or bezels by whatever the name of the rom being played matching the name of the art/bezel.  So just duplicate the bezel you like and rename to the rom name (I.e., the fast shooter listed above).  If using standalone Mame then bezels are in the Artwork path typically, unless you modified in the INI file for Mame.