LaunchBox Community Forums

2 questions - 1) How do I copy a Platform from one LaunchBox collection to another, and 2) Big Box is sometimes not keeping track of where I was when I back out of a Platform

PurpleTentacle

For the first question - I currently have 2 versions of Launch Box, one is gigantic & contains a lot of Platforms, and the other is about half the size (although still large). I recently redid my Famicom games because the zip files incorrectly say that they're translated to English, so I manually renamed them & changed it so that it points to the new file names. I also imported some roms that were actually translated. The thing is, now I need to do the same thing to my bigger version of Launch Box. Since it took a bit of effort, I'd prefer to avoid doing it all over again, so I'm wondering what the easiest way to do it would be?

Can I just copy over the Famicom image, game & video folders, and then overwrite the Nintendo Famicom.xml with the new Nintendo Famicom.xml file? Is there anything else I'm forgetting?

As for the second issue, for some reason, when I back out of a Platform in Big Box, it sometimes backs out to the wrong Platform instead of the one I was on. So let's saying I'm browsing my Sega Genesis games, and then I hit escape, there's a chance that it will bring me to a random Platform like, say Commodore 64 (it doesn't open up the list of Commodore 64 games, I mean that it brings me to the list of Platforms, but not to the Platform that I was just browsing). Any idea what's going on?

7 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

For the first question - I currently have 2 versions of Launch Box, one is gigantic & contains a lot of Platforms, and the other is about half the size (although still large). I recently redid my Famicom games because the zip files incorrectly say that they're translated to English, so I manually renamed them & changed it so that it points to the new file names. I also imported some roms that were actually translated. The thing is, now I need to do the same thing to my bigger version of Launch Box. Since it took a bit of effort, I'd prefer to avoid doing it all over again, so I'm wondering what the easiest way to do it would be?

Can I just copy over the Famicom image, game & video folders, and then overwrite the Nintendo Famicom.xml with the new Nintendo Famicom.xml file? Is there anything else I'm forgetting?

Yes that should work fine, the platformname.xml is where that info is actually stored so the most important part, and yes just copy the image and video folders.

7 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

As for the second issue, for some reason, when I back out of a Platform in Big Box, it sometimes backs out to the wrong Platform instead of the one I was on. So let's saying I'm browsing my Sega Genesis games, and then I hit escape, there's a chance that it will bring me to a random Platform like, say Commodore 64 (it doesn't open up the list of Commodore 64 games, I mean that it brings me to the list of Platforms, but not to the Platform that I was just browsing). Any idea what's going on?

Cant say i have ever seen that, what theme?

41 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Yes that should work fine, the platformname.xml is where that info is actually stored so the most important part, and yes just copy the image and video folders.

Sweet, thanks! I'll try it tomorrow. It's kind of a pain to manage 2 collections, which is why I really appreciate Launch Box's modular design (of sorts).

41 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Cant say i have ever seen that, what theme?

Coverbox for the main theme, although I use a lot of various themes for each platform, depending on what I think looks/works best for that platform. Usually, if it's not Cover Box, it's most likely Retrotastic, Unified, or CriticalZoneV2 - BlueBox (might be a few other random ones for Playlists). I'll have to test it out to see if it occurs with another theme (in terms of the main theme). Cover Box just went to 3.0, so who knows... (I absolutely LOVE Cover Box).