LaunchBox Community Forums

How to import files with long names?

vgbox

My redump 3do games folder contains one of these games with long names, for example:

"Nishimura Kyotaro Travel Mystery - Akugyaku no Kisetsu - Tokyo ~ Nanki Shirahama Renzoku Satsujin Jiken (Japan) (Disc 1)"

When i tried to import my 3do library by importing the .cue file of each game in LB, a message popped: 

"-File path of Nishimura Kyotaro Travel Mystery - Akugyaku no Kisetsu - Tokyo ~ Nanki Shirahama Renzoku Satsujin Jiken (Japan) (Disc 1)- does not exist. Verify that the correct file name was given."

Of course the file exists.

I followed the instructions here in attempt to fix this: https://www.howtogeek.com/266621/how-to-make-windows-10-accept-file-paths-over-260-characters/

Tried both their patch and manual fix of both home and pro win10 methods and restarted windows.

The windows still pops.

I would not want to shorten the file name.

What's next?

Edited by vgbox

I know you mentioned you don't want to shorten the file name, but that is likely the easiest way to make it work.  Simply rename it to whatever you want, make sure to edit the .cue file so that it's also looking for the correctly/newly renamed bin (I assume) file.  Once you import it into LB, it will likely not know what game it is, you can then rename the game from within LB by editing it, and having it search the gamedb.  In other words, the file name for any rom can be whatever it wants, as long as LB eventually knows what the game is (by renaming it in the edit title field in LB) then it will find the game in the DB, pull up the artwork properly, etc.... and most importantly, launch the game correctly :)

Edited by CDBlue