LaunchBox Community Forums

Question about arcade button/joystick USB encoders for use with Launchbox arcade setup...

FormulaFox

So, got a question. I'm doing a very cheap arcade build(I've actually ordered the cheapest Arcade1up I could find to use as the cabinet), but it's going to be running a Win10 PC(Core 2 Duo 3.1GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM - not brilliant, but I know it can handle what I'm aiming for as I've used it as a general emulation box up to now) on which I plan to run Launchbox. So I've been brushing up on how to set up Launchbox, but as there's a lot of information to dig through I'm having trouble finding helpful information, and I was hoping that someone could help me find the specific information I'm seeking.

Put simply, I need information on how to make sure the USB encoders for my buttons and joysticks works - whether or not I can afford to cheap out with the encoders that tend to come with cheap button sets, or if I need to invest in some a bit better, What pitfalls to be aware of when settings things up. I plot to do this as a 2-player unit, but that's not set in stone.

All help is appreciated - though I'm really just looking to be pointed to the right piece of information hidden within all the other info, but any tips not covered by it would be incredibly helpful as well.

There isn't TOO much of a rush here - my cabinet doesn't arrive until Wednesday, and I can't really start nailing down the details like the monitor and control panel for certain until I've got it on hand. But having as much information as possible beforehand can only help the project go smoother.

For the curious, I will be removing(or, more accurately, not installing to begin with) the Arcade1up's display, computer, and control panel, modding the marquee to get the shape more in line with my preferences, and modding in a mount for a better display, and making a custom control panel. If you must ask why do this over just buying something like a GRS Level Up cab, The answer is simple: For the same reason Soviet nuclear reactors did not have containment buildings around them, like those in the west. For the same reason they didn't use properly enriched fuel in their cores. For the same reason they were the only nation that built water-cooled, graphite-moderated reactors with a positive void coefficient: It's cheaper.

Fortunately I'm not building a nuclear reactor, so that's not something to be overly concerned about. :P