LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME64, please suggest a CRT shader with the least GPU intensive

kritvichu

I build an arcade cabinet using my old PC, HP Elite 8300 SFF. It runs on an i5 3470 with an onboard graphic. The case is very small and equiped with a HP proprietary 240W PSU.  I can't upgrade a PSU and finding a low profile GPU for this very small case is not worth much. I previously used Retroarch because it was light and had a good CRT shader using low resource intensive on GPU.  Unfortunately, I ran into a problem with controller mapping conflict between arcade and consoles. So, I like to keep Retroarch for all consoles related and run a base MAME64 on arcade instead. 

I tried to configure the latest base MAME64 v0.219 to do a CRT shader like Retroarch with the least load on GPU as possible. Doing research, I know I can't run HSLS for sure and look like BGFX is the way to go. I followed this forum from Lordmonkus;

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/33564-mame-bgfx-shaders-tutorial/

Once I applied; 
"bgfx_screen_chains    crt-geom" 
I noticed the gameplay and sound got stutter a lot. Though I like the graphic output, the gameplay got too much stutter. Once I removed bgfx, thing got back to normal. I guess it was too much for an onboard graphic to handle even it should be very low intensive on GPU.

1.Could anyone suggest me a base MAME64 version that can apply CRT shader for a very weak GPU?
2.Is there any other way to apply CRT shader that use the least GPU power?

Thank you for input, Lordmonkus. Retroarch with CRT-pi was the one I used on this machine. I wish I could find an alternative on a vanilla mame. I run into a problem with the input binding conflict between the arcade Fightsticks and PS3 xInput controller. The auto assign button# is an issue. This makes switching between arcade and console platforms difficult. I’m trying to find the way to manually map xInput controller to match the button# on the Fightsticks but no luck. What about GLSL on a vanilla mame? BGFX is the least complicated method I suppose and I not study anything about GLSL yet. I heard people said GLSL was complicated to set up, but if I can achieve a CRT-geom scanline like BGFX and not causing a stutter sound and dropped frame rate, maybe it is worth time to research on it.

So,  should a low power GPU be able to handle GLSL on mame64?

If not, I need to find a way to make Retroarch work on a key map binding. It’s off topic on this post. I’ll create another just to ask my issue on Retroarch.

Edited by kritvichu