LaunchBox Community Forums

Noob Controller and Emulator questions

DeadPenguin

I am really new to this world of emulation.  I have watched a lot of your really helpful videos and everything has went relatively smoothly getting set up.  I got my Roms in the Games folder. My emulators in the Emulators folder. I have imported all my N64 games and set the up with Project64 and downloaded all art and such.

My main problem:

I am having trouble with mapping controls and deciding which controller to use. 

I have:

1. Gravis Eliminator (I bought a million years ago and never used)
  2.  4 x  PS3 controllers
  3.  4 x Steam Controllers
  4.  2 x Shield TV Controllers 
  5. 1 newer Xbox remote I use with Xbox X
  6. 2 older Xbox one controllers that came with Xbox One

I figure the Gravis would be the easiest because of the layout but had a hard time figuring out what buttons for N64 to map to the buttons on the controller. Is there any controller on the list that would work best across all emulators. N64, NES, SNES, Atari, PSX, PS2, PSP, MAME?  (these are the systems I will play the most.)

I feel stuck because if I can't figure out button mapping and a good controller all the Roms set up perfectly with the right emulators is a waste of time.

I am curious:

I set up my Roms with Launchbox's suggested emulator during the import Rom process.  Is there any advantages or disadvantages to  just setting everything up under Retroarch?

I am pretty sure both questions I asked have a lot of personal preferences regarding controllers and emulators involved.  I know there is no one best solution for this but was asking if there was an easier/better way to avoid issues with controllers or having to edit a ton of Roms to change the emulator.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks.  

20 minutes ago, DeadPenguin said:

I am really new to this world of emulation.  I have watched a lot of your really helpful videos and everything has went relatively smoothly getting set up.  I got my Roms in the Games folder. My emulators in the Emulators folder. I have imported all my N64 games and set the up with Project64 and downloaded all art and such.

My main problem:

I am having trouble with mapping controls and deciding which controller to use. 

I have:

1. Gravis Eliminator (I bought a million years ago and never used)
  2.  4 x  PS3 controllers
  3.  4 x Steam Controllers
  4.  2 x Shield TV Controllers 
  5. 1 newer Xbox remote I use with Xbox X
  6. 2 older Xbox one controllers that came with Xbox One

I figure the Gravis would be the easiest because of the layout but had a hard time figuring out what buttons for N64 to map to the buttons on the controller. Is there any controller on the list that would work best across all emulators. N64, NES, SNES, Atari, PSX, PS2, PSP, MAME?  (these are the systems I will play the most.)

I feel stuck because if I can't figure out button mapping and a good controller all the Roms set up perfectly with the right emulators is a waste of time.

I am curious:

I set up my Roms with Launchbox's suggested emulator during the import Rom process.  Is there any advantages or disadvantages to  just setting everything up under Retroarch?

I am pretty sure both questions I asked have a lot of personal preferences regarding controllers and emulators involved.  I know there is no one best solution for this but was asking if there was an easier/better way to avoid issues with controllers or having to edit a ton of Roms to change the emulator.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks.  

I would use one of the xbox controllers personally, natively supported on Windows and by emulators, has two sticks (needed for some ps1, and of course ps2, gamecube).

As for emulators, those are just that suggestions, personaly i use retroarch for as many systems i can with a few exceptions, i do use it for N64, using the mupen plus next core.