LaunchBox Community Forums

My MAME romset is 0.217 - is it better to update MAME (the program, not the romset) to 0.220 or should I install MAME v. 0.217?

PurpleTentacle

I've been using RetroArch for my MAME games, but with the MAME leaderboards, I'd rather start using MAME itself. Only problem is that I'm running the 0.217 romset, and my current version of MAME is 0.214 (I don't know why I didn't upgrade it before). One thing I've never understood is whether MAME is backwards compatible with older MAME romsets or not. I'd prefer to not bother updating my entire romset (maybe eventually), so should I upgrade to the latest version of MAME or should I go with MAME 0.217? 

Also, I assume updating MAME is just a matter of installing over the old version of MAME (sort of like how you'd do it with RetroArch)? Just making sure before I go through with this.

7 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

I've been using RetroArch for my MAME games, but with the MAME leaderboards, I'd rather start using MAME itself. Only problem is that I'm running the 0.217 romset, and my current version of MAME is 0.214 (I don't know why I didn't upgrade it before). One thing I've never understood is whether MAME is backwards compatible with older MAME romsets or not. I'd prefer to not bother updating my entire romset (maybe eventually), so should I upgrade to the latest version of MAME or should I go with MAME 0.217? 

Also, I assume updating MAME is just a matter of installing over the old version of MAME (sort of like how you'd do it with RetroArch)? Just making sure before I go through with this.

Update your emulator to 0.217.

• Like 1