LaunchBox Community Forums

Huge Problem with MAME Video Snaps

djtripnosis

I'm at a loss here guys. As far as I can tell, for video snaps to work in BigBox, they MUST be named the same as the Launchbox game title, NOT the ROM name. Usually they are the same, so no issue.

But with MAME, ROMs are named "1on1gov.zip" when the game title is "1 on 1 Government". So my options seemed to be:

1- Manually rename each video file or point to it manually for the entire mame set.

2- Pay for a premium emumovies account, which I read repeatedly is supposed to be a total fix. All the snaps, they all work, they all sync, so much easier.

Imagine my horror when I bite the bullet and buy a premium emumovies account and find the emumovies snaps are EXACTLY the same as the snaps I already have ("abcop" NOT "Air Bike Cop").

Is my only option to manually edit the ENTIRE mame set? REALLY? Is that what everyone is doing? Am I missing something here?

1 minute ago, djtripnosis said:

I'm at a loss here guys. As far as I can tell, for video snaps to work in BigBox, they MUST be named the same as the Launchbox game title, NOT the ROM name. Usually they are the same, so no issue.

But with MAME, ROMs are named "1on1gov.zip" when the game title is "1 on 1 Government". So my options seemed to be:

1- Manually rename each video file or point to it manually for the entire mame set.

2- Pay for a premium emumovies account, which I read repeatedly is supposed to be a total fix. All the snaps, they all work, they all sync, so much easier.

Imagine my horror when I bite the bullet and buy a premium emumovies account and find the emumovies snaps are EXACTLY the same as the snaps I already have ("abcop" NOT "Air Bike Cop").

Is my only option to manually edit the ENTIRE mame set? REALLY? Is that what everyone is doing? Am I missing something here?

File name or name in launchbox DO both work. If you download videos from emumovies from within Launchbox they are automatically named the same as the game in Launchbox.

image.thumb.png.bf53f1d46b0b5a416684baefb4046bad.png

24 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

File name or name in launchbox DO both work. If you download videos from emumovies from within Launchbox they are automatically named the same as the game in Launchbox.

image.thumb.png.bf53f1d46b0b5a416684baefb4046bad.png

For some reason, at least for me, MAME in particular requires the game name from launchbox, not the ROM name. I suspect it has to do with parent/child roms and such. I'm working with a split set for now. I'm about to dive into clrMAMEpro to create a non merged, which I also suspect would fix the issue. Not sure though.

1 minute ago, djtripnosis said:

I'm working with a split set for now. I'm about to dive into clrMAMEpro to create a non merged, which I also suspect would fix the issue. Not sure though.

The wont make any difference, file names are still the same, its just the contents of the zips that changes.

To my understanding, converting it to non merged will create a set with a 1:1 relationship between roms and games. So no more parent/child roms. Am I incorrect?

And thanks, btw. I'm downloading the correctly named snaps in Launchbox as we speak. Thanks again.

9 minutes ago, djtripnosis said:

To my understanding, converting it to non merged will create a set with a 1:1 relationship between roms and games. So no more parent/child roms. Am I incorrect?

Yes that is incorrect. All the roms will be "standalone" in a non merged set. So each rom will have all the files needed for the game to run, so you will still have all the parent/clones just that each file will work by itself and not rely on files in the parent. You will about double the size of your set if you convert it to non merged as you will be duplicating thousands of files into other zips rather than the current way of the files in a zip being shared amongst other games. your set will go from about 60-65GB to about 120GB, and it will make zero difference in Launchbox.

It will make it so that I can add/delete freely and create a custom set. And it seems that would make it so that when launchbox looks for the video for the ROM "whatever.zip" it would find the file I already had named "whatever.mp4" instead of being tied up as a clone or parent with some files in one zip and other files in another. I see how that would screw up the video ROM/Game Name detection, makes perfect sense to me, but maybe I'm all screwed up. Okay, I know I'm all screwed up, but maybe I'm misunderstanding ;)