LaunchBox Community Forums

Help with multiple standalone Stella installs

Corgan

Let me start off by saying, I think I need to use multiple Stella emulators to accomplish what I want.  But I'm not sure, so please let me know if you know of a better way.  First, I'll explain what I'm trying to do, then I'll explain my current question about Stella.

What I'm trying to do: I'm trying to make specific Atari 2600 games playable that use the Kid's Controller.  These are games like Big Bird's Egg Catch and Cookie Monster Munch.  I'm ultimately using a Xbox gamepad for my controller.

My Question: The Kid's Controller is not supported by RetroArch (I confirmed in their forums).  However, it is supported by Stella.  The problem is that the controls for up/down/left/right or Action are NOT consistent from game-to-game.  For example, in Big Bird's Egg Catch to move left/right you press 5 and 6 on the Kid's Controller.  In Cookie Monster Munch you press 4 and 6 (and others for up/down/action).  So I figured that I just need to install multiple copies of the stand-alone version of Stella, configure each one for a single game, and then tell LaunchBox to use the correct version of Stella.  However, when I installed two copies of the stand-alone version of Stella they both seem to still be using the same configuration files.  So changing the input settings on one changes them on both.  So they're not really separate.  Is what I'm trying to do possible?

Edited by Corgan

2 hours ago, dragon57 said:

Have you tried using the Stella core in Retroarch? You should be able to remap the controller for each game, then save a game override file.

Yes, but Retroarch (with Stella core) doesn't support that Atari controller.