LaunchBox Community Forums

Can I run a full “plug and play” install of LB from a USB?

Tripno

Hi all,

I am not new to emulation but am new to launchbox.  I have a 10tb hyperspin build, a 1tb RetroFE external SSD build, and a 512 retropi/Retroarch build.  

I’m looking to build a 512gb plug-and-play launchbox setup on a USB stick.  I’ll be running it on a gaming PC that does not have internet access, but it will be assembled on a laptop with WiFi.  I will be installing the newest gen emulators on this as well (Yuzu, Xenia, Citra etc.)

my question is, can I download LB to the usb stick from the laptop and save everything I need in terms of cores, etc., to the usb, so that it is “plug and play” and can be run from the USB on my gaming PC?

thank for the assistance!

Edited by Tripno
Updates for clarity

@Tripno Short answer, Yes.

The LaunchBox UI/program/Front-End does not install anything outside of the folder you installed it to and uses (mostly*) relative paths from where the executable file (LaunchBox.exe) is located.  So if you install it in C:\LaunchBox\  and copy that to E:\LaunchBox\, the UI will work just fine.

The caveat is in where you install the emulators and roms.  If you initially install them in say, C:\Emulators\ and then copy this and C:\LaunchBox\ folders both to E:\, LaunchBox (executed from the E:\ drive) will look for the emulators using the *absolute path....  "C:\Emulators\".

The simple fix is to install the Emulators and roms within the LaunchBox folder structure.  (i.e.  C:\LaunchBox\Emulators\)   LaunchBox will then store them as relative paths an all will be good when you copy the LaunchBox folder to somewhere else.

"The simple fix" only accounts for part of it though.  If the Emulators themselves aren't "portable", well... back to the drawing board.  LaunchBox won't fix that.

16 hours ago, Tripno said:

run from the USB on my gaming PC?

That's a loaded question. :D   Barring the fore mentioned caveats, Yes.  Will it run well?  That, I cannot answer definitively.   When you talk about running off a USB 'stick', you run into concerns of read/write data access speeds and possibly a mess of other things beyond me.