LaunchBox Community Forums

Sega CD not playing Sound

d2produce

So I've tried CHD files, I've tried single, BIN/Cue's, I've tried Cue's with multiple Bins.  I'm importing the CUE files only into Launchbox and retroarch is using Gen Plus GX as it's core.....but there is zero sound not even sound effects.  I tried 3 different BIOS files and no sound.  What more can I check?  Also I've searched all over google and every other person with a similar post is either not using Retrorch and/or Launchbox and they have Sound effects but no music. 

EDIT: So the plot thickens...Sega Saturn and Sega Genesis also don't have sound...however Genesis had sound before.  So perhaps a simple restart will fix it I will report back.

Restarting didn't fix it and everything is muted in Retroarch yet Mute is off and sound is on.

Seems like there's something wrong with my sound maybe updating the driver will help.  After reinstalling retroarch there is still no sound.  Is there a Mute option in Launchbox as well that I may have hit?

So ya it's not just Retroarch the PS2 using pscx2 or whatever its called also has no Audio.  So it's definitely a Launchbox issue as my audio drivers are updated.  Any suggestions?

So reading another thread I changed my Audio Output to Dsound....then hit mute then unmute and it worked.  It's very strange because I've used both Retroarch and Launchbox on the default settings for a year now.....reset windows recently....and all of a sudden I gotta change the sound settings and I'm launchbox/retroarch from a secondary harddrive that never changed.  I'm just glad it's working again.

Edited by d2produce

Glad you got it worked out.

9 hours ago, d2produce said:

So it's definitely a Launchbox issue as my audio drivers are updated.  Any suggestions?

Nope, launchbox never has any control over what a emulator does, it simply gives the emulator the rom file and tells it to load it. Seems like the likely culprit is your Windows refresh.

• 1 year later...

I'm having exactly the same issue as the OP - and OP's original post (OP's O.P.?). Sega CD games with sound effects but no soundtrack.  Using .cue/.bin files.  RetroArch/Libretro forums are currently down, but if anyone can shed some light that would be slick.

EDIT:  Well, not EXACTLY the same problem.  I get sound effects, but no "CD Audio".  That is background music, etc.  .CUE files all look correct and .bin files are all present.

Edited by sharkytowers