LaunchBox Community Forums

retropie vs. launchbox

endoviking

So I enjoy my retropi immensely, it's a fantastic machine that truly 'emulates' the console experience with only the flip of a switch and no need for mouse or keyboard inputs, no log-ins, no e-advertisements, etc.

However, it does lack power, and so I'm looking to build my own box, especially as I move from SNES and genesis era up to the dreamcast, N64, PSX, PSP and perhaps even gamecube and, fingers crossed, PS2 capabilities. However, what I truly love about the retropi is the simplicity to turn it on and be looking at a game selection screen with only my controller plugged in and, as I mentioned, no need for credentials or updates or what have you.

So my question is as follows; can the launchbox or bigbox function as a proper no-interface front end on a highly dedicated, specified machine which actually requires windows to run, or am I better off with retropie? I am skeptical that launchbox can pull off the retro console feel of the retropi, and may be better served as a PC gaming front end, but on the other hand, I am also new to the whole box building scene, and would appreciate any input.

4 hours ago, endoviking said:

can the launchbox or bigbox function as a proper no-interface front end on a highly dedicated, specified machine which actually requires windows to run

Yes but I would recommend having a keyboard and mouse handy for those times when something happens, it is Windows after all. A simple wireless keyboard and touchpad combo from Logitech is all you need.

2 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

Yes but I would recommend having a keyboard and mouse handy for those times when something happens, it is Windows after all. A simple wireless keyboard and touchpad combo from Logitech is all you need.

While I certainly have the equipment, and do understand that it will be necessary to use every once in a while, as it is on the RetroPie, I appreciate its ability to function as an independent console. This might be all I need to become a premium member. Can I ask you for some general input as to where I might start looking for boot up options? Thanks so much for your help