LaunchBox Community Forums

Changing rom directory question

jtb1987

Hello all -

I'm a new Launchbox convert switching over from Hyperspin and believe I'm stuck on something basic -

I have imported in all my roms for each platform. When I did so, my roms were on an external hd; however, I allowed Launchbox copy the games over to my local C launchbox folder to do the import process (I elected to do this because the Launchbox dialog box said that if I imported using another directory, it would not be able to correctly categorize the roms).

Now that all the media content has been imported into Launchbox, I tried to switch the rom path directory back to the external drive (I went to Tools -> Manage platforms -> Super Nintendo (as an example) -> Folders -> Then I changed the folder path for the "Game" to be my external drive).

But once I did that, when I attempt to launch a game, I get the "the ROM file you've specified does not exist".

I next checked the Launchbox -> Data -> "Platforms" xml file. I was able to confirm that the rom path in the Super Nintendo section read the external hard drive rom path.

Then, I went into the Platforms folder itself and opened up the Super Nintendo dedicated xml file. As I looked at each game, I noticed that the "Application Path" still read the original launchbox/games folder directory and NOT the updated external HD rom path.

I have not tried to manually find & replace these yet in the XML file because I figured there must be a step I'm missing in the UI, but it appears it's not as simple as updating the rom (game) path from the "Edit Platform" options.

Thanks for any help!

7 minutes ago, jtb1987 said:

Hello all -

I'm a new Launchbox convert switching over from Hyperspin and believe I'm stuck on something basic -

I have imported in all my roms for each platform. When I did so, my roms were on an external hd; however, I allowed Launchbox copy the games over to my local C launchbox folder to do the import process (I elected to do this because the Launchbox dialog box said that if I imported using another directory, it would not be able to correctly categorize the roms).

Now that all the media content has been imported into Launchbox, I tried to switch the rom path directory back to the external drive (I went to Tools -> Manage platforms -> Super Nintendo (as an example) -> Folders -> Then I changed the folder path for the "Game" to be my external drive).

But once I did that, when I attempt to launch a game, I get the "the ROM file you've specified does not exist".

I next checked the Launchbox -> Data -> "Platforms" xml file. I was able to confirm that the rom path in the Super Nintendo section read the external hard drive rom path.

Then, I went into the Platforms folder itself and opened up the Super Nintendo dedicated xml file. As I looked at each game, I noticed that the "Application Path" still read the original launchbox/games folder directory and NOT the updated external HD rom path.

I have not tried to manually find & replace these yet in the XML file because I figured there must be a step I'm missing in the UI, but it appears it's not as simple as updating the rom (game) path from the "Edit Platform" options.

Thanks for any help!

You need to also highlight all the games in each platform now that they are imported and go to >Tools>Change Roms Folder Path and then update the rom path for all imported games.

Change the folder in the Platform level just changes future stuff and where LB will scan for new roms if you choose. It does not affect what was imported prior to the change.

Just an FYI you do not need to choose the option to "Move" during import. Leaving it where it is, even if it is outside of LB the import will manage the files just fine.

8 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

You need to also highlight all the games now that they are imported and go to >Tools>Change Rom Path and then update the rom path for all imported games.

Change the folder in the Platform level just changes future stuff and where LB will scan for new roms if you choose. It does not affect what was imported prior to the change.

Just an FYI you do not need to choose the option to "Move" during import. Leaving it where it is, even if it is outside of LB the import will manage the files just fine.

This worked thank you!

Going forward, is this the fastest/recommended way to do it?

Update the path in the platform edit option and then "select all" games and change rom path?

Thanks again for the help!