LaunchBox Community Forums

Easiest way to set-up permanent set-up that will work with minimal changes

hawkguy

Long story short - I have multiple PCs with Launchbox in varying states. An arcade machine, my main PC, my emulation machine, my laptop, my mini pc,, my thumbstick which I take with me to brag to friends.... but all of the sets are in varying states. Every time I copy the folder, I have to go change games and emulator paths for it to work because drives change, etc. 

Is there a way that I don't know which fixes this issue easily? I would love to make one build and be able to do minimal editing when I make a new emulation pc or just transfer. And I would love to just... have one set-up that I can copy to all my machines so it's not so frustrating having things with different set-ups (aside from maybe themes).

It wouldn't be so bad if my games scraped easily, but depending on the system I could have 30-200 games that don't scrape correctly and it's time consuming manually editing them on each PC. 

I feel like there's a way and I just don't know how to do it because I see ETA Prime moving his build to multiple PCs, etc. 

I'm computer dumb, so any help would be greatly appreciate. Thanks everyone! 

Edited by hawkguy

3 minutes ago, hawkguy said:

Long story short - I have multiple PCs with Launchbox in varying states. An arcade machine, my main PC, my emulation machine, my laptop, my mini pc,, my thumbstick which I take with me to brag to friends.... but all of the sets are in varying states. Every time I copy the folder, I have to go change games and emulator paths for it to work because drives change, etc. 

Is there a way that I don't know which fixes this issue easily? I would love to make one build and be able to do minimal editing when I make a new emulation pc or just transfer. And I would love to just... have one set-up that I can copy to all my machines so it's not so frustrating having things with different set-ups (aside from maybe themes).

It wouldn't be so bad if my games scraped easily, but depending on the system I could have 30-200 games that don't scrape correctly and it's time consuming manually editing them on each PC. 

I feel like there's a way and I just don't know how to do it because I see ETA Prime moving his build to multiple PCs, etc. 

I'm computer dumb, so any help would be greatly appreciate. Thanks everyone! 

If you keep everything inside the Launchbox folder, which means all media as well as emulators and roms, its just a copy and paste job to other PC's.

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

If you keep everything inside the Launchbox folder, which means all media as well as emulators and roms, its just a copy and paste job to other PC's.

Everything inside the launchbox folder? I won't need to change the drive letter if it goes from say a F:/ on my main PC to a C:/ on my mini PC?

No, if everything is in the Launchbox folder it will use relative paths, not absolute ones. Essentially you dont need a drive letter if everything is self contained in the one folder, you only need to worry about drive letters if you have roms and emulators all spread out in various places.

2 hours ago, neil9000 said:

No, if everything is in the Launchbox folder it will use relative paths, not absolute ones. Essentially you dont need a drive letter if everything is self contained in the one folder, you only need to worry about drive letters if you have roms and emulators all spread out in various places.

Awesome thank you. I didn't know that. I'm such an idiot. I can now work on this finally and have some consistency.