LaunchBox Community Forums

NEO GEO Games AES vs MVS - state of confusion

breite07

Are there separate game roms (for the same game title) for the AES (home console) vs MVS emulation (arcade) - or would a different BIOS change the way the rom works?

Reason I ask -> On YouTube I have seen videos of NEO GEO emulators (like Retroarch with the FBNEO core) run the games in arcade mode.

That is, during the game it will prompt an option to continue at which point you need to (virtually) add more coins.

This would obviously be emulating the arcade version of the title.

Can that same game rom be used to emulate the home version or does it require a different rom?

Would a different BIOS enable the same rom to be used in arcade or home console mode (i.e. without prompting for coins and whatever other differences there are between the MVS and AES while playing the same game title).

Thanks for any feedback!

No there are no separate roms for MVS & AES. The original Neo Geo carts contained the same game, it was the hardware/bios that determined the version. So a MVS was the arcade hardware, the AES was the home console. You could take a Neo Geo cart out of the arcade cabinet,  and put it in a AES machine and the machine would tell the game which version to basically run. The Bios is the important consideration. Use the UniBios and run whatever version you want.