LaunchBox Community Forums

11.3 install error - LaunchBox no longer opens

Boomerps2

Don't know if this happened to anybody else, but couldn't overwrite files in "Third Party" folder. Quit install and now Launchbox won't open at all. Reinstalled fresh copy of 11.3 then copy/paste new files in my original install directory. Platforms are still there but all installed emulator information has been lost. Says no installed emulators or rocketlauncher. All is blank.

Edited by Boomerps2

19 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Hi Boomerps2, sorry for the trouble. Can you try rebooting, and then re-running the LaunchBox 11.3 installer from the LaunchBox\Updates folder?

Tried reinstall couple times after reboot. Error overwriting files in third party folder. I did fresh install then did a data backup restore and seems to be working.

Edited by Boomerps2

1 minute ago, Boomerps2 said:

Tried reinstall couple times after reboot. Error overwriting files in third party folder. I did fresh install then did a data backup restore and seems to be working.

Interesting, that's telling. So you're up and running then on 11.3? Do you remember what the specific error was that you got?

3 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Interesting, that's telling. So you're up and running then on 11.3? Do you remember what the specific error was that you got?

Files in the "CefSharp" folder can't be overridden. CefSharp folder, files in the x86 & x64 folders. Option to ignore in not recommended but did it anyway on the second try and errors out on every file in that folder. 

Edited by Boomerps2

9 minutes ago, Boomerps2 said:

Files in the "CefSharp" folder can't be overridden. CefSharp folder, files in the x86 & x64 folders. Option to ignore in not recommended but did it anyway on the second try and errors out on every file in that folder. 

I see, thank you very much. I have reports from 4 different people who are having issues, and I'm not sure if they're all having the same issue, but that's certainly a lead.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Boomerps2 said:

Beta-19 installed fine and seems to be working. Did you make any changes?

I did indeed. Great to hear. I plan to release the official version tomorrow.

The gist of it was that the new version of the Chromium engine needed the Visual C++ 2015 redistributable to work.

I tried all the things you posted here (.net framework repair, re-install 11.3, and the beta) to no avail. I got launchbox to start but it was basically like starting over. Asked to import roms. I did and it was able to play, but without my old steeings. And bigbox did not start at all. Now, neither will start. I see in my launchbox folder, there is a back ups folder. Is there a way to restore to an earlier point using those? And if so, how do i do it? 

1 minute ago, jeffbini said:

I tried all the things you posted here (.net framework repair, re-install 11.3, and the beta) to no avail. I got launchbox to start but it was basically like starting over. Asked to import roms. I did and it was able to play, but without my old steeings. And bigbox did not start at all. Now, neither will start. I see in my launchbox folder, there is a back ups folder. Is there a way to restore to an earlier point using those? And if so, how do i do it? 

If you don't have any data, it sounds like you installed it to the wrong place. Usually this happens when you accidentally install it into a folder inside of your LaunchBox folder. What folder did you install LaunchBox to? Do you have a LaunchBox folder inside of that folder?

29 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

If you don't have any data, it sounds like you installed it to the wrong place. Usually this happens when you accidentally install it into a folder inside of your LaunchBox folder. What folder did you install LaunchBox to? Do you have a LaunchBox folder inside of that folder?

Crap. Yeah, that looks like the issue. Right now it's installed inside a launchbox folder inside the launchbox folder. Like this: My documents/Emulators/Launchbox/Launchbox

3 minutes ago, jeffbini said:

Crap. Yeah, that looks like the issue. Right now it's installed inside a launchbox folder inside the launchbox folder. Like this: My documents/Emulators/Launchbox/Launchbox

Gotcha. It should be an easy fix, in theory. Just delete the My Documents\Emulators\LaunchBox\LaunchBox folder. Then run the latest beta setup and make sure to install to the correct location.

5 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Gotcha. It should be an easy fix, in theory. Just delete the My Documents\Emulators\LaunchBox\LaunchBox folder. Then run the latest beta setup and make sure to install to the correct location.

Thanks for your help. All is right with the world again

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

You mean like C:\LaunchBox? What are the exact errors you're seeing?

16 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

You mean like C:\LaunchBox? What are the exact errors you're seeing?

H:\LaunchBox....Only when opening BigBox from LaunchBox. Doesn't happen when directly opening BigBox. Permission errors in LBThemes/views folder. All the xaml files have somehow went to read only.

17 minutes ago, Boomerps2 said:

H:\LaunchBox....Only when opening BigBox from LaunchBox. Doesn't happen when directly opening BigBox. Permission errors in LBThemes/views folder. All the xaml files have somehow went to read only.

Ah, I see. Might be a bug in the startup process because of the duplicate apps running for a short period. I can't reproduce it myself though. If you can get me the exact error message, that might help.