LaunchBox Community Forums

Very new to Launchbox and mame roms not loading

steviewilson

Hi guys, been using emulators for a long time but cant get my head round Launchbox (yet!), I have the full 0.218 romset from the usual source, the same mame64.exe version installed to the mame folder within my launchbox directory, there is a mame.ini file but shows rom path as roms (its launchbox/mame 0.218/roms, but wont update when I change roms directory from TOOLS),  I click on a game (I have extended desktop as I use my pc for telly and video too) and it shows the loading screen on my telly but then game over, game wont run.  Also, can someone tell me  roughly how many games should be under the Mame directory? I have 36656 items, but wondering how many games should show?

Im Stuck big time! Cheers guys

Stevie

1 minute ago, steviewilson said:

Hi guys, been using emulators for a long time but cant get my head round Launchbox (yet!), I have the full 0.218 romset from the usual source, the same mame64.exe version installed to the mame folder within my launchbox directory, there is a mame.ini file but shows rom path as roms (its launchbox/mame 0.218/roms, but wont update when I change roms directory from TOOLS),  I click on a game (I have extended desktop as I use my pc for telly and video too) and it shows the loading screen on my telly but then game over, game wont run.  Also, can someone tell me  roughly how many games should be under the Mame directory? I have 36656 items, but wondering how many games should show?

Im Stuck big time! Cheers guys

Stevie

MAME itself MUST know where your roms are located or they wont load, Launchbox is passing the rom name to MAME, not the actual file. As for game count that will depend on if you changed any filters in the fullset import wizard, but its usually between 2800 and 2900 actual imported games. In my case its 2852.

image.thumb.png.5dd995f3ff1c7a06f294c6f4fa031f6a.png 

3 minutes ago, steviewilson said:

Just tried another import full mame romset, rebooted, games still not loading.  Ive got psx, snes, Genesis etc all running fine, no idea why these mame roms wont open.  I know its something daft, no doubt.

Are you changing the rom path inside Mame directly? You said it will not update the rom path when you change directory from Tools, that is a LB UI element. You need to open Mame directly and change the path where Mame is looking.

5 minutes ago, steviewilson said:

sorry if im being stupid here and not doing something obvious

Know one said you was doing anything stupid, but yeah if your MAME emulator doesnt even open then yeah, thats a issue, so id look at fixing that first.

Edit:

First rule of Launchbox, get the games working in the emulator first, then we can focus on Launchbox itself. Theres nothing worse than troubleshooting Launchbox to find the user hasnt even tested a game and just has bad roms, or no emulator at all sometimes. ;) 

2 minutes ago, steviewilson said:

Im not getting that mate, not even opening, its a pop up on the task bar saying no driver loaded.  Tried a fresh install to a new folder, mame0218b_64bit.exe, added a dozen roms to the rom folder, clicked on mame64.exe and nothing.  I can take it my mame exe is at fault?

MAME is a self extracting archive, when you double click on it it should extract the contents, and you are downloading the binary right?

Untitled.thumb.png.9a7327c2fa4624e22a3e48b3f5f771ab.pngWhen you double click it you should get this, where it asks you where to extract to.

image.thumb.png.b7473eefddbeb50717dd60e436570dd7.png