LaunchBox Community Forums

Overwriting existing LB install

DeadVoivod

So as it is I have my LB install on external, E:\Launchbox. When I install a new version, it installs it in the E:\ root but under a new folder called Launchbox. What I then do every time, is moving stuff from that folder to the actual folder, but always paying attention not to overwrite older stuff, which is then a lot of work. I was always concerned that I would otherwise overwrite some settings or xml files.

My question now, is that the case or not? What does it overwrite exactly if I just move the whole folder as it is? Don't want to mess up obviously. 

The new install will not affect settings. It updates the exe and other components, but it does not overwrite any of the data xmls or settings xmls. The question though is why it is installing in a secondary LB folder. Are you manually installing a new version or doing it from within LB when it notifies there is an update?

I do a manual install, as an automatic doesn't work, it just saves me the new LB.exe into the updates folder and I have to run it myself.

When I run it, and point it to E:\, it will automatically create a folder on E:\ called LaunchBox. There's no LaunchBox folder existing as LB is installed inside the root of E:

45 minutes ago, DeadVoivod said:

I do a manual install, as an automatic doesn't work, it just saves me the new LB.exe into the updates folder and I have to run it myself.

When I run it, and point it to E:\, it will automatically create a folder on E:\ called LaunchBox. There's no LaunchBox folder existing as LB is installed inside the root of E:

That's your issue then. LB will always look to install to a \Launchbox folder. This would likely explain why the update from inside LB does not work as it is trying to find that \Launchbox folder.

After fiddling around this whole afternoon, I managed to put it under the E:\Launchbox folder, but had quite some work to do. I edited all of the xml files, every single one of them to alter games, images, video, music, manual paths and in the end it got everything to work properly.

Updates are indeed much easier to do this way, no need to manually copy everything over. Just encountered some problems with FS-UAE, as you can add the new correct folder and remove the old one, but you need to rescan the directories, otherwise it keeps the old paths.