LaunchBox Community Forums

New Build- Joystick issue with MAME

Avenger

I know this isn’t the optimal forum for this question but I find the questions and answers are handled briskly here so I thought to give it a try.  I am a lifetime license Launchbox owner.

I have a new build with the latest windows 10 version on a handheld PC device known as the GPD Win Max.  It is a fairly powerful PC.  I know how to set controls with MAME and the left analog joystick pressed with the A button works fine.  However when I press the left analog with the B button, it’s as if only the B button is pressed, ignoring the joystick direction.  When I tried to use the direction control pad  instead of the analog joystick, if I press any other button but A, the direction pad is also ignored.  I tried with .198 ROMs of wwfsstar and wwfwfest along with .198 MAME.   I also tried .223 mame64ui and retroarch with the same results.  Note I didn’t use the latest ROMs with .223 since for those 2 games, .198 roms still seem to be compatible.

I thought the problem was with the built in xbox 360 compatible controller on the handheld PC but I tried with an XBox Elite controller over bluetooth to the same result.   I tested some Steam Games and pcsx2 and those work fine.  I never had this problem on previous iterations of the handheld PC which I have owned.  Note the windows 10 version was older on those.

Would upgrading to .223 ROMs do anything?  Obviously there is an incompatibility somewhere.  Or can soneone point me to a mame forum that might be more appropriate?  I tried mame reddit but there weren’t many responses.

Updating roms would not affect anything about how Mame is seeing the controller. I do not have a GPD Win so could not offer much help. I know we have users with a version of the GDP and I have not seen any posts about a similar issue. I know you said same issue trying other Mame versions and Retroarch. What about trying a stand alone emulator for like a NES or SNES game. Just to further confirm it is not the emulator(s)?

Oh my.  After all that it seems to be my mistake.  The two games I tried, and played in the arcade in my younger days, don’t have moves with the B button plus joystick direction.  It’s just the B button alone.  To make sure, I tried another game which I know does have B button plus joystick moves and it works.  What a memory lapse!  Thanks for the advice and sorry to waste your time.