LaunchBox Community Forums

How long does it take to launchbox to update new information/media from the DB?

hollowdeathcult

Hi! I am completely new to Launchbox and the Launchbox database, it's been wonderful since I installed it a few days ago, but now that I am updating and renewing the database with more accurate media from some of my games, I am having little troubles doing it correctly, I presume,

Here is the thing: I imported all my Steam games to Launchbox so I can have them organized and associated with metadata, and also I created a LaunchboxDB account so I can update and add new info and media. I was doing fine some days ago, adding new media, new metadata and missing info on the database and when approved, I just went to tools > download metadata and media on Launchbox and voila! Missing front box media appeared on my games, making it prettier.

But since yesterday, even if my changes and additions were approved, when I try to refresh the media and metadata on Launchbox, the changes does not reflect. For example, here is Aztez. Here is the link to the database: https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/images/84298 and here is an image on how does it look even if I force to redownload the media.

h1L1Ydc.png

I personally replaced that ugly looking front cover that is appearing on my Launchbox, with the more good looking one that is appearing right now on the database, but I can no longer refresh the media to reflect the changes on launchbox, why is that? Am I doing something wrong? do I need to wait for something? How long does it take to Launchbox to syncronize with the database and link the new metadata and media added and approved by the community? 

This is now happening with just this game, I updated almost 25 Steam games if I recall correctly, with many new infor and media, but the changes does not show on Launchbox, Also, it would be good if someone let me know if there is a way to refresh all the new metadata and media at once for all of my games, because I am doing it game per game and it's kind of tedious, but if there isn't a way to do it with a few clicks, that's ok too.

Thank you very much for your responses in advance.

Edited by hollowdeathcult

Well, it takes typically 24 or more hours since it:

1. has to be approved
  2. it has to be rolled up into the update package for download
  3. you have to been asked to download an update package (typically when you search) and/or you force a download of the update package. 

So it isn't instant from time you make update in DB or even once it is approved. You have to wait for update package to be rolled up and ready to distribute for local update.  You can force an update to the local database on your PC by going to Help menu and checking for updates or if you think something is amiss, you can also force an update (see snap).  I live in Central US time zone and find that update packages are rolled up typically around 8 or 9 pm my time, so if I either do force update or do a search DB will be downloaded to local install and reflect any changes approved.  Also, if it is never showing up, your changes may have been rejected. Depending on your time zone, when you made the change, and how much moderation backlog there is, I have seen it take a couple days in some cases for my changes to show up in the pushed DB to LB.

Capture.thumb.PNG.a716bbd3a0531692b7e7218c8810336e.PNGYou can check the status of your changes you made in DB by going to your account online in web browser and going to status. If it hasn't been approved, then won't show up in nightly update packages pushed to LB local install.

Capture2.PNG.96315f80bcd62a1a5dba2506dfeb01df.PNGOn the refresh of multiple games, yes LB can do that. This is done through the Tools, Download Metadata and Media option.  For whatever you select, either multiple games or by platform, if you then run that option it will give you option to replace data, only update missing information, etc.  I typically wouldn't select all your games at one whack (although you can) but by whatever you are working on say by console type.  Also you can use the Tools, Audit feature to bring up a grid, and then for example sort by missing 3D covers and then select those and use the Metadata update option to work on specific gaps (i.e., only select 3D covers to download).  In doing it in chunks, avoids getting a bunch of duplicates in your media.  For Metadata updates only, you simply select no media downloads either from LB DB or EmuMovies and then it will only update the data fields, no media.  So lots of options, depends on what you want to do. 

Edited by sundogak

4 minutes ago, Masamune3210 said:

Unless I'm mis-interpreting the page, all my changes are listed as accepted, so I guess it's just time to wait for the roll-up in my case. Thanks!

Yep. So in theory, you should see them in about 20 18 hours or so from now on next package update cycle.

Edited by sundogak

12 hours ago, sundogak said:

Well, it takes typically 24 or more hours since it:

1. has to be approved
  2. it has to be rolled up into the update package for download
  3. you have to been asked to download an update package (typically when you search) and/or you force a download of the update package. 

So it isn't instant from time you make update in DB or even once it is approved. You have to wait for update package to be rolled up and ready to distribute for local update.  You can force an update to the local database on your PC by going to Help menu and checking for updates or if you think something is amiss, you can also force an update (see snap).  I live in Central US time zone and find that update packages are rolled up typically around 8 or 9 pm my time, so if I either do force update or do a search DB will be downloaded to local install and reflect any changes approved.  Also, if it is never showing up, your changes may have been rejected. Depending on your time zone, when you made the change, and how much moderation backlog there is, I have seen it take a couple days in some cases for my changes to show up in the pushed DB to LB.

Capture.thumb.PNG.a716bbd3a0531692b7e7218c8810336e.PNGYou can check the status of your changes you made in DB by going to your account online in web browser and going to status. If it hasn't been approved, then won't show up in nightly update packages pushed to LB local install.

Capture2.PNG.96315f80bcd62a1a5dba2506dfeb01df.PNGOn the refresh of multiple games, yes LB can do that. This is done through the Tools, Download Metadata and Media option.  For whatever you select, either multiple games or by platform, if you then run that option it will give you option to replace data, only update missing information, etc.  I typically wouldn't select all your games at one whack (although you can) but by whatever you are working on say by console type.  Also you can use the Tools, Audit feature to bring up a grid, and then for example sort by missing 3D covers and then select those and use the Metadata update option to work on specific gaps (i.e., only select 3D covers to download).  In doing it in chunks, avoids getting a bunch of duplicates in your media.  For Metadata updates only, you simply select no media downloads either from LB DB or EmuMovies and then it will only update the data fields, no media.  So lots of options, depends on what you want to do. 

Thank You very much! I didn't know about the 24 hour roll out new metadata and I assumed it wa synxhronized in real time or something like that. Thanks again! And now I know how to refresh the data with multiple games too! Thanks again pal!