LaunchBox Community Forums

Pause menu issues

joelkolb

I use an Xbox 360 wireless controller and I have the pause menu toggle set to the Xbox guide button. I only have a handful of systems and I'm using RetroArch to emulate everything. I am seeing some very strange behavior with my pause menu. Save/Load state just does not work from the pause menu. When I try to save or load a state it just takes me back to the game. It is not interacting with RetroArch to save the state because I am not getting a notification from RetroArch that the state has been saved and if I go into the RetroArch menu there are no states saved. If I save a state through the RetroArch menu it will not load from the pause menu either. Also, It seems like the pause menu will only work reliably one time before it goes haywire. After I toggle the pause menu and then resume the game one time in any game on any system I will not be able to reliably get back to the pause menu or get back to my game again. If I try to get back to the pause menu again one of two things will happen. The first is that the screen will fade to black and I will have to hit the pause button again which will resume the game, then I will have to hit the pause button yet again to actually get to the pause menu. The other and more likely thing is that RetroArch will pause (as indicated by a pause icon overlay in the top right of the screen like when you use a RetroArch hotkey to pause) but the pause menu will not come up. Using the RetroArch pause hotkey will not unpause the game either. At that point if I attempt to enter the RetroArch menu with the hotkeys I set for that, it may or may not work and if it does then resuming or restarting from the RetroArch menu will not work. Choosing either of those options seems to freeze RetroArch for a few seconds where it won't accept any input. Then it will become responsive again. The only thing that works is for me to repeatedly mash on the guide button and eventually the pause menu will come up. From there if I hit "Resume Game" it's a crap shoot as to whether the game will resume or whether the pause menu will close but leaving RtroArch still paused with no way to resume without more button mashing or potentially having to hit ctrl+alt+del. Can anyone help me figure out what's going on?

Edited by joelkolb