LaunchBox Community Forums

Trouble with MAME and Consoles

milhouse34521

Hi,

I recently started migrating from HyperSpin to Launchbox due to Launchbox features and the lack of support/updates with HyperSpin. I have an arcade cabinet that I am trying to get working with Launchbox, but I am running into an issue with MAME and Consoles. Basically, MAME loads arcade games no problem (via LaunchBox) but does not launch console games. From the command line and HyperSpin, they all work fine.  Unfortunately, I don't think there are any LaunchBox Logs that show what command was actually run during startup so I haven't been able to troubleshoot much, so I thought I'd ask here.

I believe my emulators are setup correctly.LaunchBox-01.thumb.png.142aea9abff7786830fb6197d6700cac.png

LaunchBox-02.thumb.png.a6ea6ecc6323d6e7cf5bc0d5b2bfdfb5.pngAs you can see, I am still using my HyperSpin install locations, so the important details are:

LaunchBox Location: D:\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe

MAME location: D:\HyperSpin_1.5.1\Emulators\mame0224b_64bit\groovymame64_224.exe

mame.ini rompath: D:/ROMS/MAME224

MAME Roms: D:\ROMS\MAME224\

ColecoVision Roms (I've tried all the below): 

• D:\ROMS\ColecoVision\coleco.zip
    • which contains 313 10031-4005 73108a.u2 and coecoa.rom
  • D:\ROMS\MAME224\coleco.zip
    • which contains 313 10031-4005 73108a.u2 and coecoa.rom
  • D:\ROMS\MAME224\coleco\313 10031-4005 73108a.u2
  • D:\ROMS\MAME224\coleco\coecoa.rom

I've tried similar folder structures for Atari 2600 and Intellivision, but I am not having any luck. LaunchBox says "Now Loading" and LedBlinky works and announces the correct game, but nothing else happens.  The log doesn't seem to contain a lot of useful information, but its also attached. 

Can any help out here? Thanks.

Debug 2020-10-02 10-43-23 AM.log

The default command line parameters look fine.  Well, not sure about the Intellivision ECS Carts.  I've only messed the the non ESC carts ("intv -cart"). 

For Coleco ColecoVision cartridges... based on your rompath in mame.ini, you should be able to put coleco.zip in that folder (don't unzip it).  And then place your Coleco roms in a subfolder called "coleco" below that.

D:\ROMS\MAME224\

D:\ROMS\MAME224\coleco.zip

D:\ROMS\MAME224\coleco\alcazar.zip
D:\ROMS\MAME224\coleco\alphazoo.zip
D:\ROMS\MAME224\coleco\amazing.zip

I'm assuming groovymame is a simply fork of MAME, so all the how-to's, what-not's and why-for's should be synonymous between the 2.

Check that mame.ini is in your MAME's root folder ("D:\HyperSpin_1.5.1\Emulators\mame0224b_64bit\mame.ini") and that there isn't a 2nd copy in the ..\ini subfolder.  Also look for a possible "coleco.ini" file (either in the root folder or the ini folder.  Hopefully not both).  If there is one, either look inside at it's rompath line (to make sure it's correct) or just delete it.

Oh, and you do NOT need to add "coleco" to the rompath in mame.ini.  As it's a soflist console, when you "tell" MAME "coleco" in the default command line parameter, it knows to look inside a "coleco" subfolder within it's rompath.  Same thing with "a2600" and "intvecs".

D:\ROMS\MAME224\a2600\roms.zip
D:\ROMS\MAME224\intvecs\roms.zip

Lastly, in the Edit Emulator - Associated Platforms, make sure the Associated Platform names are exactly the same as the actual Platform.  (this "oops" actually happens quite a bit.)