LaunchBox Community Forums

How do you add a single MAME ROM?

Saca_Muela

I'm really excited with how my launchbox build is going and I'm really starting to get everything polished and streamlined right now. 

I installed a full ROM split set and it has been working great (once I figured out how to get the same set that matched the MAME version I was running).

I was able to import my full ROM set super easy with the wizard, but now as I am trying to fine tune things I would like to add just a single MAME ROM to Launchbox. Is that possible? When I extracted the single ROM I wanted to install, I extracted it to a file that was in my launchbox directory, but it had like 30 files that after it was done extracting.

image.thumb.png.38fd4a69a732b6bda1ae49730f579b8c.png

When I went to Launchbox, I imported that file into MAME and it said 30 games were installed.  None of them have pictures with them and they all done work. 

Obviously something is wrong but I dont know enough about all this to know what happened. Is my copy of the ROM not a split set and that is why it wont work, because the rest of my ROMS are? Are you not able to just add a single ROM to MAME?

Thanks for any help on this.

image.png

5 hours ago, Saca_Muela said:

I'm really excited with how my launchbox build is going and I'm really starting to get everything polished and streamlined right now. 

I installed a full ROM split set and it has been working great (once I figured out how to get the same set that matched the MAME version I was running).

I was able to import my full ROM set super easy with the wizard, but now as I am trying to fine tune things I would like to add just a single MAME ROM to Launchbox. Is that possible? When I extracted the single ROM I wanted to install, I extracted it to a file that was in my launchbox directory, but it had like 30 files that after it was done extracting.

image.thumb.png.38fd4a69a732b6bda1ae49730f579b8c.png

When I went to Launchbox, I imported that file into MAME and it said 30 games were installed.  None of them have pictures with them and they all done work. 

Obviously something is wrong but I dont know enough about all this to know what happened. Is my copy of the ROM not a split set and that is why it wont work, because the rest of my ROMS are? Are you not able to just add a single ROM to MAME?

Thanks for any help on this.

image.png

First things first, NEVER unzip mame roms, mame expects them to be zipped and they wont work in any other format. Secondly what are you trying to add? you say you have a full romset imported now so what are you trying to import that the Launchbox fullset importer didnt? If the game was in your romset then Launchbox didnt import it for a reason, probably because it doesnt actually run in mame as of yet, or it could be that the game is already imported but under a different name based on the preferred region you specified in the importer.

Also its worth noting that if you just downloaded this one random game from the internet that, thats not a good idea either, it probably for a different romset, and may be from a split/merged set type so missing important files.