LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch snes9x core switching aspect ratio, misaligning bezel

KingSlayer937

Sorry if this has been asked before and i missed it. I noticed today that some of my snes games have a small black border on the bottom as if i had integer scaling turned on. It was only on the bottom of the screen tho and i thought that was odd so i tested a few other games and the black bar wasnt there. After some testing, i found quite a few games that have this cropping. some games even look like the ratio has been changed. I use bezels for most of the old stuff, they look better in 4:3 anyway so the bezels add a nice touch to all the games. I do the usual routine of setting up the bezels, align them properly, save the config, etc etc. For some reason these few games, i'll use Jurassic Park as my main example, they load up and look nice and lined up proper until you get in game...then the alignment is messed up. I posted a few shots, one is the title screen of Jurassic Park obviously, the 2nd is a shot of after i press start and get in game. Its no longer using the settings i had in the config file. Feel like i may have messed with a setting, or changed something on accident within retroarch maybe? so many options in there its like a maze. Does anybody else have this issue or know of a way to fix it?

Jurassic Park-01.png

Jurassic Park-02.png

9 minutes ago, joshchawks said:

Sorry if this has been asked before and i missed it. I noticed today that some of my snes games have a small black border on the bottom as if i had integer scaling turned on. It was only on the bottom of the screen tho and i thought that was odd so i tested a few other games and the black bar wasnt there. After some testing, i found quite a few games that have this cropping. some games even look like the ratio has been changed. I use bezels for most of the old stuff, they look better in 4:3 anyway so the bezels add a nice touch to all the games. I do the usual routine of setting up the bezels, align them properly, save the config, etc etc. For some reason these few games, i'll use Jurassic Park as my main example, they load up and look nice and lined up proper until you get in game...then the alignment is messed up. I posted a few shots, one is the title screen of Jurassic Park obviously, the 2nd is a shot of after i press start and get in game. Its no longer using the settings i had in the config file. Feel like i may have messed with a setting, or changed something on accident within retroarch maybe? so many options in there its like a maze. Does anybody else have this issue or know of a way to fix it?

Jurassic Park-01.png

Jurassic Park-02.png

Snes games are not all one resolution, they varied a little, there are also games that change resolution from menus to in game and back again. This wasnt noticeable back in the day on a crt as any signal was stretched to fill the screen. Modern flat panel displays dont do that as they handle resolutions differently.

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Snes games are not all one resolution, they varied a little, there are also games that change resolution from menus to in game and back again. This wasnt noticeable back in the day on a crt as any signal was stretched to fill the screen. Modern flat panel displays dont do that as the handle resolutions differently.

man..... I have spent hours verifying that i know what im doing in the RA settings haha. I did read that it switches resolutions, i just assumed Snes9x accounted for that. I know JP in particular is one that utilizes the high rez ratio...i think anyway. So this is something i will just have to deal with i presume? suppose i could just create custom configs and deal with the enlarged menus/titles with those games. Thx Neil

Edited by joshchawks

Just now, joshchawks said:

man..... I have spent hours verifying that i know what im doing in the RA settings haha. I did read that it switches resolutions, i just assumed Snes9x accounted for that. I know JP in particular is one that utilizes the high rez ratio...i think anyway. So this is something i will just have to deal with i presume? suppose i could just create custom configs and deal with the enlarged menus/titles with those games. Thx Neil

Yeah the only way around that would be a custom aspect/resolution as a game override, but any game that switches res while in game is always going to not fit a bezel correctly at times.

Knowing that there isn't much i can do about it has somehow made it less obtrusive ? I appreciate you taking the time to clear that up for me, its been driving me crazy all morning. Im going to make a few overrides for the ones that are really bad like JP, and then deal with the rest.

Edited by joshchawks