LaunchBox Community Forums

Phoenix: Jaguar emulator - how to automatically start games?

legolas119

HI

i have configured Phonenix as Atari Jaguar emulator. It works, but if I launch a game with LB, it doesn't start automatically. It appears the emulator screens:

Immagine.png

and so I have to double click on the game tiltle and then the POWER button in order to start the game. Is it possible to automatically start every game without these 2 steps?

thanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2020 at 6:29 AM, legolas119 said:

HI

i have configured Phonenix as Atari Jaguar emulator. It works, but if I launch a game with LB, it doesn't start automatically. It appears the emulator screens:

Immagine.png

and so I have to double click on the game tiltle and then the POWER button in order to start the game. Is it possible to automatically start every game without these 2 steps?

thanks

It's a little more complicated than your usual emulator and requires a few extra steps :) Try this tutorial and plugin, which should do the job:

30 minutes ago, Ackling17 said:

I followed all the steps and it launches but a message come up saying "you must select a cartridge" any idea of what i'm doing wrong?

Not sure, but I just tried this plugin yesterday and it seems to be broken now or it stops at the very last step, perhaps caused by recent updates to LaunchBox or to a Windows update. I'll do a little more investigating, and I know there's one other (similar) method available that was mentioned here.

UPDATE

I found the other plugin which may work, but I won't be able to try this until later today

Edited by bundangdon

9 hours ago, Ackling17 said:

no all that does is bring up the windows to back it up or whatever, thanks anyway i appreciate it

I just tried it now and got it working. Just make sure to set the program to launch "_Phoenix_Rom_Launcher.exe" and leave the default command line blank in the LaunchBox settings. It should work but I'd rather use Retroarch for 3DO games and only use this for the few Atari Jaguar games that won't properly run. Another important note is that (as far as I know) Project Phoenix won't run .chd files, so you'll have to use .cue instead for 3DO games.

Edited by bundangdon

many thanks! so i downloaded the 2 files _Phoenix_Rom_Launcher.au3 and _Phoenix_Rom_Launcher.exe.  I have to put both in the emulator directory, am I right (Is _Phoenix_Rom_Launcher.au3 useful?) ? After that i will follow the steps creating a new backup file.

Finally i suppose I have to modify in LB the file that it will be launched in this way, am I right?

https://i.postimg.cc/W3km8vS4/Immagine.png

Do you know if it works also for Colecovision?thanks

10 hours ago, legolas119 said:

many thanks! so i downloaded the 2 files _Phoenix_Rom_Launcher.au3 and _Phoenix_Rom_Launcher.exe.  I have to put both in the emulator directory, am I right (Is _Phoenix_Rom_Launcher.au3 useful?) ? After that i will follow the steps creating a new backup file.

Finally i suppose I have to modify in LB the file that it will be launched in this way, am I right?

Yes, that looks right. I've only tried Jaguar and 3DO so far, but it probably works for Colecovision too.

4 hours ago, legolas119 said:

yeah it works, many thanks!

I think that colecovision doesn't work because when i create the xml file, only Jaguar and 3DO games are detected, none of Colecovision games is detected...

No problem! Glad to hear you got it working. As for Colecovision, there are better options out there. Try using Mame or Retroarch with it instead

well in the past i tried to use retroarch, but i don't like it...it is too difficult for me to set up every emulator. Very often games aren't detected correctly an i have to create a specific roms list in order to be detected and so on...

I have mame fullset but only for the arcade, i don't have consoles on mame, i'm not able to configure them. I looled for a good guide in order to do this, but i didn't find it...

I will continue to use this emulator also for colecovision, is it ok in any case, even if i can't run directly games :)

many thanks!

On 11/26/2020 at 2:42 PM, legolas119 said:

Hi. I'm the one who authored the _Phoenix_Rom_Launcher.  Glad to hear you found it useful.   You actually don't need the _Phoenix_Rom_Launcher.au3 file - it's just the source script that AutoIt complies into the executable file.  I included it as a download in case anyone want's to read the script to see how the program works or study some clean AutoIt scripting  :)

Truthfully, I never tried running ColecoVision games in Phoenix.  I image they'd work the same in Phoenix as with the 3DO & Jag games.  It probably wouldn't be too hard to add that functionality to my script.  Trickiest part might be formatting the backup/restore GUI again.   If I have time this weekend, I can look into it.

14 hours ago, Ackling17 said:

I have tried to do it multiple times each time i launch a game in launchbox with the _phoenix_rom_launcher.exe it gives me a line 2163 error message saying "error: variable used without being declared"

Yeah.. I'll need to make some changes to the script to make it work.  It should be pretty straight forward though. 

When I wrote the script, it didn't occur to me to make it work with any of the other systems Phoenix emulates - I was only using it for 3DO & Jag.  

--

Just re-read your post.  I think what you're describing was a bug in the script that dealt with determining which platform Phoenix was being launched to run.  The best way I can determine which system is being launched is to look for specific words in the rom path that is passed from LaunchBox to the Phoenix launcher.  So the rom paths need to contain the words "3DO", "Jaguar", or "ColecoVision" somewhere in their paths.  Before, it was case sensitive, which was causing the problem, but I fixed that part. 

Edited by freeflyer454
Clarification about bug in script.

2 hours ago, legolas119 said:

many thanks! just a question: is it necessary only to overwrite the .exe file or have I to delete the old file and the old .xml file and then i hav to do again the import procedure also for Jaguar and 3DO?

Good question... I'd probably use the old exe file to restore the rom library back into the phoenix.config.xml file.  Then I'd move both the _Phoenix_Rom_Launcher.exe and the _Phoenix_Rom_Launcher.xml files outside of the Phoenix folder somewhere.  That way, if something is wrong with the new exe,  you can always go back.  Once that's done, it's okay to put the new _Phoenix_Rom_Launcher.exe inside the Phoenix folder.

----

There's several ways to do it, but basically, you want to have all your current settings and full complete rom library inside the phoenix.config.xml file.  If you did the restore, then you can launch Phoenix and load up any remaining roms into it's library.  

Once you've got everything set and loaded into Phoenix (that means you have a "full" config file), you can create a new backup.  The _Phoenix_Rom_Launcher won't overwrite it's own backup file, so you'll have to delete or move the old _Phoenix_Rom_Launcher.xml file if it's still inside the Phoenix folder.   

If you already have Launchbox setup to use the _Phoenix_Rom_Launcher.exe as the emulator for the 3DO, Jaguar, and ColecoVision games, then it should be ready to go.

----

After typing all this up, I realize my simple little program isn't as intuitive as I had imagined it would be.  LOL   

It really is a simple program once you understand how it works though:

-  The backup button just makes a copy of Phoenix's config file and names it _Phoenix_Rom_Launcher.xml.   

-  When the program is run through LaunchBox, it does four things: 

it searches that backup xml file for the rom information,

it deletes all the rom info (making it quicker to load),

it copies the launched rom's info back into Phoenix's config file,

then it launches the Phoenix emulator.

-  The restore button just copies the backup file and names it back to phoenix.config.xml.

Hope that helps.  Holla if you have any more questions or run into any issues.