LaunchBox Community Forums

Noob MAME64 vs Launchbox Help

lepactedesloups

Hello everyone! I finally was able to get a nice cab together and loaded MAME64 onto the PC I am using there. I am running into a bit of confusion understanding how MAME sees the ROMS that I have in my roms folder, and then how Launchbox pulls that information into itself to enable to play them. Now, the majority of the stuff simply imported into Launchbox via the wizard just fine. There's only a few places that I've found myself running into trouble. Occasionally, I'll launch a ROM, and it won't load. When that happens, I make a note of it, open up MAME64 directly, and see what it's griping about (is something missing? is it a checksum failure, etc.). Now, besides the obvious (is it a CHD game? is the ROM simply missing? etc.), I will encounter a game that won't run - and it simply doesn't make sense in context - it'll run directly in MAME, but NOT in Launchbox - and I feel it's related to which ROM title it's pointing at. One caveat: I am using the exact MAME Set that is matching the ROM Set (the versions are exactly the same).

Let's use "Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampire (Euro 970519)" for example - that one is illuminated in MAME64 (white, not grey). All the other versions are grey. What does that mean? The ROMS are present, but they are grey - and some "disappear" when I use the Available filter and some don't? Is there a way I need to have MAME "rescan" the directory to refresh the list, or does it do this automatically at runtime to make sure the ROMS are all present? Note that I had added some more ROMs, from the correct version to match my MAME version "later", after initially installing MAME64.

Anyway, my mind is blown getting the MAME dir organized and to play nice with Launchbox (which is amazing btw, TOTALLY loving it) and I was hoping some of you would take mercy on this poor noob and lend me a hand! :)

20 minutes ago, lepactedesloups said:

white, not grey

The 'white' ones are Parent roms and the 'grey' ones are Clones [of the Parent].  So looking at Vampire Savior, the "Euro" one is the parent rom ("Romset: vsav"  aka "vsav.zip" in your roms directory).  The "Asia" is a clone of "Euro" with the Romset: vsava (aka "vsava.zip").   

We you have "Unfiltered" selected, you see all [MAME] available roms.  And then selecting "Available" you see what you have in your roms directory.  Since some of these are disappearing, I'm guessing you have a non-merged set. 

The ones that work in MAME and not in LaunchBox, verify that LaunchBox is pointing to the correct Romset (zip file name) that you have.  ("vsav" vs "vsava").   If you specified a Region priority when importing, it might be pointing to the USA version ("vsavu.zip").