LaunchBox Community Forums

Is there a reason the MVS category is almost empty?

WraithTDK

Due to a total lack of tone of voice, that could sound really snarky, but I'm honestly just asking. The DB has SNK Neo Geo MVS as a platform, but I was noticing that nothing I tried to scrape with it produced results; so I looked into it and found there are only two games there. The games made for it are available in the Arcade section; however. Is there an easy way to move them from Arcade to MVS? Or copy them? The latter would probably be more prudent, as I imagine a lot of people searing for MAME sets will include them as arcade games. If there's not an easy way, is there a specific reason it's like this? Because if not, I'm willing to manually copy/paste them from arcade to MVS (though If there's a way to do it automatically that'd obviously be preferable).

3 minutes ago, WraithTDK said:

Due to a total lack of tone of voice, that could sound really snarky, but I'm honestly just asking. The DB has SNK Neo Geo MVS as a platform, but I was noticing that nothing I tried to scrape with it produced results; so I looked into it and found there are only two games there. The games made for it are available in the Arcade section; however. Is there an easy way to move them from Arcade to MVS? Or copy them? The latter would probably be more prudent, as I imagine a lot of people searing for MAME sets will include them as arcade games. If there's not an easy way, is there a specific reason it's like this? Because if not, I'm willing to manually copy/paste them from arcade to MVS (though If there's a way to do it automatically that'd obviously be preferable).

They are exactly the same roms, whether in AES or MVS, its simply the bios used that dictates the platform. If you want a MVS platform either download a neogeo only romset, or use a batch file to copy those roms from a MAME romset. You can set the bios in MAME to use the AES home console bios if you want as well. At the end of the day MVS is simply a Arcade board, so the games are in the Arcade section as they should be.

6 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

They are exactly the same roms, whether in AES or MVS, its simply the bios used that dictates the platform. If you want a MVS platform either download a neogeo only romset, or use a batch file to copy those roms from a MAME romset. You can set the bios in MAME to use the AES home console bios if you want as well. At the end of the day MVS is simply a Arcade board, so the games are in the Arcade section as they should be.

Right, I did that. I've got the system setup perfectly. But LB includes the option to scrape as MVS, yet the database only has 2 games in that section. I was wondering if that's just because no one filled it, or if there's a specific reason. If there's not a reason, could the MVS titles be copied into the MVS section of the database?

Just now, WraithTDK said:

Right, I did that. I've got the system setup perfectly. But LB includes the option to scrape as MVS, yet the database only has 2 games in that section. I was wondering if that's just because no one filled it, or if there's a specific reason. If there's not a reason, could the MVS titles be copied into the MVS section of the database?

I assume it was never filled in as its not really a system. AES could be classed as a system, and if that in fact has the games you could scrape as that, so having two systems with the same games is kind of redundant.

2 hours ago, WraithTDK said:

And also, in the AES listing you have all the neogeo platform released games, because all of the MVS exclusives were released unnoficially in aes format by small stores, producers , they´re are listed as unnoficial releases.