LaunchBox Community Forums

Deleting titles AND metadata?

bfollowell

I'm setting up RetroArch and LaunchBox on my gaming desktop. I plan to stream them through my SteamLink to my 50" TV in my bonus room and play using a X-Arcade Tankstick With Trackball and an XBox One bluetooth controller. I plan to eventually register LaunchBox and use Big Box, but I'm starting out with the free version to learn before I pay for it. I saw how long it took to download all the extra images and other metadata for close to 700 Atari 2600 games. The more I look at that list, the more I see tons of titles that I know I'll absolutely never play, and I haven't even started adding NES, SNES, Genesis, and arcade titles yet. I'm curious about deleting titles now that I have downloaded all that metadata. I'm considering going in and culling down my list to just titles that I think I'll really play. I know I can run an update that will remove the titles for the ROMs I've deleted. Will this also delete any associated metadata for those deleted titles?

Thanks.

Deleting a game removes the data from the title and any metadata associated. You will be asked if you want to delete the artwork and media associated to it and can choose yes or no. If you have the option enabled in Options you will also be prompted as to whether or not you want to delete the actual ROM file when deleting a game.

Well, I did try. I deleted the files myself from File Explorer, then re-scanned, and it picked up that the game was missing and asked if I wanted to delete it. However, when I deleted from within LaunchBox, it didn't initially ask me if I wanted to delete the ROM. Later, I found the delete ROM switch in the settings and now it asks me if I wish to delete the ROMs when deleting games. At no point does it ever ask me is I wish to delete images or other metadata though. Actually, after I was done deleting games, whether manually, or from with LaunchBox, it appears that none of the metadata was deleted, because I found the Clean Up Media option, and that found all the metadata for the games I had deleted and asked me if I wanted to delete them or move them to a folder, so they were still there until I ran Clean Up Media and had it delete the files.

Either way, I now know how to get rid of the metadata if I delete games.

Thanks!

Ah I think some of the confusion was the terms being used. I was running with the following terminology in mind:

Metadata - The text data related to the game (notes, publisher, etc)

Media - The artwork for the game

You are right, when deleting via the methods you are using you will want to run the clean up media tool after to ensure that all media items  are removed.