LaunchBox Community Forums

quick import and background update of titles

maliusmaximus

Hi all,
First time user here doing initial set up on a 100% new cabinet with new hardware and clean install etc.
I have a paid bigbox and emumovies membership.
Its taken about 18 hours to get 15% of one system's games imported. Clicking cancel shows zero games imported after that 18 hours. If I actually bite the bullet and wait, it will take about 5 days of uninterrupted runtime with no shut downs for one system, so assumably about 1 month of keeping the computer on to do a full import of all my games. 
I can't wait that long. I tried disabling emu movie linkage but it only helped marginally. each title takes forever downloading box art etc. 
Is there a way to just get all my games imported  without any media then launchbox silently adds everything in background? I need to move on to next stage of set up and cant wait a month for this to finish. The program doesnt allow me to perform other operations or load big box whilst importing so Im stuck here unable to proceed with set up. 
FYI its not internet speed on my end. Have a 100Mbps connection thats sitting close to idle waiting.

Thanks in advance. 

During import try unchecking the box for checking rough duplicates. This can slow down media a lot since it compares all those images to remove duplicates. This can make mass imports take way too long.  

There is no option for LB to download media in the background. You can import games without media by unchecking the media boxes during import and then later go back and download media. 

5 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

During import try unchecking the box for checking rough duplicates. This can slow down media a lot since it compares all those images to remove duplicates. This can make mass imports take way too long.  

There is no option for LB to download media in the background. You can import games without media by unchecking the media boxes during import and then later go back and download media. 

OK thanks I'll give that a shot. If i click cancel now then should I do anything to purge certain folders, considering that it seems that cancel also makes me lose anything successfully imported until now? Since the check for duplicates box will be unchecked if i cancel and restart, do I need to go in and remove them manually since it will be redownloading and not checking

Also @Retro808 if I do scrape later does it mean the system can't be used during that scrape? 
My concern here is that if its having this much difficulty importing media for even 1 platform, and if the system can't run until a media scrape command is complete, then trying to do a scrape on a build with a large number of titles across multiple platforms would be basically impossible, leaving the system unusable unless it managed to stay on for a month. Ie: doing this later is going to make the amount to be scraped much, much larger, and if the system cant operate during this time, then theres a problem.

Thanks for your guidance!

9 hours ago, maliusmaximus said:

OK thanks I'll give that a shot. If i click cancel now then should I do anything to purge certain folders, considering that it seems that cancel also makes me lose anything successfully imported until now? Since the check for duplicates box will be unchecked if i cancel and restart, do I need to go in and remove them manually since it will be redownloading and not checking

You can leave or delete them. I would leave since LB will see it already downloaded the files for those games and not download again.

9 hours ago, maliusmaximus said:

Also @Retro808 if I do scrape later does it mean the system can't be used during that scrape?

Yes, there is no background downloading for media. But at least you can import your systems and then one by one let them run overnight. Removing that rough match option should help a good bit. But you geographic location could also be an issue. We have seen some users in areas around the world have slower connection downloads that others. Not much we can do about that.

8 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

You can leave or delete them. I would leave since LB will see it already downloaded the files for those games and not download again.

Yes, there is no background downloading for media. But at least you can import your systems and then one by one let them run overnight. Removing that rough match option should help a good bit. But you geographic location could also be an issue. We have seen some users in areas around the world have slower connection downloads that others. Not much we can do about that.

Cheers thanks. I turned on VPN and its sped things up quite a bit so there must be some policies set on game database server side for intl xfers. By my calculation Mame should take about 30 hours, down from several days. 
If i were to manually stop a full romset import half way through to lock in the ones already done, will starting it again skip over all the titles already done? Basically i want to lock in the import incrementally as having 30 hours of uninterrupted power or internet may not be possible here in Vietnam

1 hour ago, Retro808 said:

@Retro808 haha as if to prove my point my internet just dropped on me and now its skipped a bunch of titles and I have hundreds of errors. 
So what is the best pathway to import in a scenario where its guaranteed a full set import will fail? 
Incrementally? 
Or let it import fully, with whatever failures occurs, and then try to recapture those?

If letting it import fully, should we try to capture the failures via scrape or attempting a totally new import (assuming it will skip existing media and be able to have a second crack at whatever was missed first time rather than creating a whole new set of missed files)

thanks heaps

13 hours ago, maliusmaximus said:

Just checking in again on this. 

Whats the best pathway for scenarios where a full import is impossible in one session? Incrementally or complete with errors then re-import / scrape?

Cheers

Increments would probably be best in this case. When you rescprape there should be some check boxes for it to now overwrite/replace existing media. I cannot remember accurately and I am not near my set-ups to double check. But there are some check boxes for this.

10 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Increments would probably be best in this case. When you rescprape there should be some check boxes for it to now overwrite/replace existing media. I cannot remember accurately and I am not near my set-ups to double check. But there are some check boxes for this.

awesome thanks ill give that a shot