LaunchBox Community Forums

Looking for emulator settings for several emulators

Reeper_Lumish

Hello. I just spent several days importing thousands upon thousands of games to Launchbox, and I can't get any of them to load. I have watched the YouTube tutorials and searched the forums for RECENT answers on how to configure Retroarch, MAME, openMSX, etc., But I just cannot get the games to launch. They work from the emulators, but not from Launchbox. I will gladly upload screenshots of each emulator's configuration, but I would imagine that somewhere there would be a gallery with images of the up to date, proper configurations for every emulator. It seems like a mandatory resource. If such a thing doesn't exist, I will take screenshots, and send them later today. Thank you all for your time and help.

4 minutes ago, Reeper_Lumish said:

Hello. I just spent several days importing thousands upon thousands of games to Launchbox, and I can't get any of them to load. I have watched the YouTube tutorials and searched the forums for RECENT answers on how to configure Retroarch, MAME, openMSX, etc., But I just cannot get the games to launch. They work from the emulators, but not from Launchbox. I will gladly upload screenshots of each emulator's configuration, but I would imagine that somewhere there would be a gallery with images of the up to date, proper configurations for every emulator. It seems like a mandatory resource. If such a thing doesn't exist, I will take screenshots, and send them later today. Thank you all for your time and help.

If you cant get a single game to load out of thousands and several systems then you have made a major error somewhere along the line of importing to Launchbox. If you are using Retroarch for most systems please supply images of the emulator settings for that from Tools/Manage Emulators/Retroarch, as well as the Associated Platform tab in that same window. Also a list of systems you imported and what you named them would be really helpful. And finally right click a game and go to edit, then the launching tab, and take a image of that also.

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, Reeper_Lumish said:

, but I would imagine that somewhere there would be a gallery with images of the up to date, proper configurations for every emulator. It seems like a mandatory resource.

No there isnt, emulators change all the time, settings that are needed now may not even be present in the future, also most systems are so simple to import its really not needed, just import the roms files, point Launchbox at a emulator .exe and thats it for most systems.

Let's start with the mGBA core in Retroarch. When I launch games in it from Retroarch it loads fine, but not from Launchbox. Here are the required screenshots. I added the command-line parameter from the official Launchbox tutorial on YouTube. FYI, the roms are not zipped or compressed. And yes I am creating a Retroarch emulator profile for each platform as it is easier to troubleshoot.

Thanks for helping. 

797838587_RetroarchmGBA-Details.thumb.png.4a4ffef982847cb4dd40bbdb28d70398.png824488990_RetroarchmGBA-AssociatedPlatforms.thumb.png.07b7be6d4207e99b204213ce6489c2cc.png

Edited by Reeper_Lumish

4 hours ago, Reeper_Lumish said:

Let's start with the mGBA core in Retroarch. When I launch games in it from Retroarch it loads fine, but not from Launchbox. Here are the required screenshots. I added the command-line parameter from the official Launchbox tutorial on YouTube. FYI, the roms are not zipped or compressed. And yes I am creating a Retroarch emulator profile for each platform as it is easier to troubleshoot.

Thanks for helping. 

797838587_RetroarchmGBA-Details.thumb.png.4a4ffef982847cb4dd40bbdb28d70398.png824488990_RetroarchmGBA-AssociatedPlatforms.thumb.png.07b7be6d4207e99b204213ce6489c2cc.png

OK, i see several mistakes here. First, just call the emulator Retroarch, this will give you some extra options, namely the "Associated Platform" tab for it is different and is also somewhat pre-populated. In your first image you have the load core command in the command-line section, that is not needed if the emulator is named Retroarch like i said, and it also means that your second image is different and lacking options, also you have partial core names there, that is likely completely breaking the process.

So, with that said, delete that emulator entry, and add a new one, this time call it Retroarch, point to the exe and dont change any other options or add any commands.

image.thumb.png.03124c3ca9a17459b45ad2d80dab3ec9.pngOnce that is done go to the "Associated Platforms" tab, you will now see it looks different to your image, as it is already pre-populated with the most common systems and the our "recommended" cores for them (both system name and the core used can be freely changed).

image.thumb.png.03237576e870146816906c0281f7b909.pngAs you can see GBA is a pre-populated system and is set to use the vba_next core, so to change that to mgba core simply double click the core that is listed, this will open a dropdown where you can pick from a list of cores (this list is actually the cores you actually have downloaded as we scan the core folder, so if a core you downloaded isnt showing restarting Launchbox should cause it to populate).

image.thumb.png.26da5e2580a9592970a6fa3a40b824a9.pngOK out of the window and games should now load, just repeat the "Associated Platform" tab part for any other systems using Retroarch. I should also note the system names in that tab, need to exactly match what you called the platform when imported. For example if you called the platform "SNES" then Retroarch wont load the games as it has that system listed as "Super Nintendo Entertainment System", so you would need to edit that name by double clicking the current entry and re-naming it to match.

Hope that gets you up and running.

6 minutes ago, Reeper_Lumish said:

Thank you. I followed your instructions, and double checked them, but still no luck. I guess I am missing something.

Here are the current emulator settings.

2068346610_Retroarch(mGBA)-Details.thumb.png.78d7e3cb7417a74323833dd53f004ab6.png489791012_Retroarch(mGBA)-AssociatedPlatforms.thumb.png.1bf3bfc11abc85079704f5846abf161f.png

Thank you for your advice and help.

Those are both correct and you have the core as Launchbox doesnt list it as missing, so the only thing i can think of is that your systems name doesnt match what the system is called in your image.

Update: I moved Retroarch to a directory without unusual characters and it works now. I would like for all of my emulation software to be in one central location, so the new question is, if I drag and drop my entire Launchbox installation directory to a new hard drive, will it work or will I have to go in and change things like paths, xmls, etc.? And if so what would I need to change? My rom directories will not change, only Launchbox and my emulators.

Thanks so much for the help so far guys.

Edited by Reeper_Lumish

7 hours ago, Reeper_Lumish said:

Update: I moved Retroarch to a directory without unusual characters and it works now. I would like for all of my emulation software to be in one central location, so the new question is, if I drag and drop my entire Launchbox installation directory to a new hard drive, will it work or will I have to go in and change things like paths, xmls, etc.? And if so what would I need to change? My rom directories will not change, only Launchbox and my emulators.

Thanks so much for the help so far guys.

You can safely move launchbox and the emulators, as long as the rom paths are not changing everything should still just work.

P.S. 

This is for anyone who finds this post in the forums searching for answers.

#1 see above for instructions on Retroarch configuration.

#2 You CANNOT have any weird characters or codes in your directory path or Launchbox simply will not open games in Retroarch

#3 You should not try to have roms for multiple platforms in a single folder. I tried to do this with Gameboy and Gameboy Color, and Launchbox would only import the Gameboy Color games. Make a separate directory for each platform.