LaunchBox Community Forums

Merging two existing collections?

korallenkaiser

Hello friends, I've built up my very own collection with the homecomputers of my youth, amstrad cpc and atari st.

On this board I found absolutely great collections for amiga and c64 and downloaded them.

I really would enjoy to merge this three collections to one big one.

Is this posible? Is there a tutorial how to do that?

Or should I stay with my three single launchbox folders...

Thanks!

KCS

Why would you merge different systems to one? Looks way nicer when they're separate. 

For Amiga I'm using 95% WHDLoad together with FS-UAE, the rest are .adf based files that WHDLoad doesn't include. But for those you can make configuration files and run them also in FS-UAE, works really nice, only that floppy based games take obviously longer to load, but if it's only a small amount, who cares, brings even a bit of nostalgia. 

• Like 1

@korallenkaiser if you're referring to C64 Dreams for the C64 collection, there are instructions for merging that in with an existing collection in this post.

3 hours ago, DeadVoivod said:

Why would you merge different systems to one? Looks way nicer when they're separate.

That's not what he's asking. He's asking about merging a separate standalone collection (like C64 Dreams, eXoDOS, etc.) which comes packaged with Launchbox into another existing Launchbox library, not merging multiple platforms into one.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

What I have done is copy one into the other (minus the ..\LaunchBox\Data folder) and then manually merge the files in ..\LaunchBox\Data. I merged my collection, dream64, Wolfanoz, and eXoDOS into a single collection this way. Open the files, append the source to the destination, make certain the xml tags are closed/accounted for. You will merge the data for the platforms, emulators, and so on. 

I took it a step further.

Launchbox minus the games on an 1tb m.2. G since the collection works best on g.
Lunchbox (original unmerged) with games is on a 10tb HHD. F, arbitrary. I will sync G to F later. 
mklink /D G:\Launchbox\Games  F:\LaunchBox\Games
mklink /D G:\Launchbox\eXo  F:\eXoDOS\eXo - later I moved \eXo to \Launchbox\ on F and updated my links.

Launchbox launches in 15 seconds on the m.2, 40 seconds on the HDD. More important really is the scrolling experience. On the m.2 everything runs silk smooth. I use the mklinks (symbolic links) to keep the collection portable and contained it to a single logical drive letter when it's actually on physically on 2 drives. This gives me the m.2 experience for the interface, and HDD's storage capacity, but I can copy it over to single drive if I wished/needed to.

I would love opinions. input, suggestions for better ways. Or if they have a better way to explain what I has suggested, be helpful :)

Edited by pyster
  • Like 1