LaunchBox Community Forums

PCSX2 arcade emulation?

mallaard

On 2/27/2021 at 10:39 AM, Headrush69 said:

I don't know about PS2 hardware, but there were arcade games based on PS1 hardware. MAME (and other emus) can play those games and it's called the ZN-2 hardware.

ZN-2 Information

Apparently the test cabinet for Primal Rage 2 was also based on some kind of PS1 hardware, which I thought was strange because you’d think Atari would use its own Jaguar hardware like it did with Area 51.

13 minutes ago, mallaard said:

Apparently the test cabinet for Primal Rage 2 was also based on some kind of PS1 hardware, which I thought was strange because you’d think Atari would use its own Jaguar hardware like it did with Area 51.

Yes it is. I have it in my collection.

I don't know whether true or not, but I did find one article about Primal Rage II that indicated that an earlier prototype used CoJag hardware. 

Capture.JPG

16 hours ago, Headrush69 said:

Yes it is. I have it in my collection.

I don't know whether true or not, but I did find one article about Primal Rage II that indicated that an earlier prototype used CoJag hardware. 

Capture.JPG

Maybe by 1996 Atari could see that the Jaguar was not going to succeed as a home console and was looking to pre-market PR2 for a Playstation release. That's the most logical explanation I can come up with, because for a strictly 2D fighting game like this you'd think the Jag hardware would actually be better than the PSX.