LaunchBox Community Forums

Change the dosbox by default

ReignerDeustcher

7 hours ago, ReignerDeustcher said:

want to replace the dosbox that comes with launchbox for another one (DOSBox SVN r4397 (Optionals), it can be done?

I don't know if you can replace the internal Dosbox with DOSBox SVN, but you can do this per game:

1659071400_Schermopname(90).thumb.jpg.405899d221a67676f313d9d257faae5a.jpg

Or if you want to use DOSBox SVN for all your games, add it as an emulator:

10387707_Schermopname(91).thumb.jpg.ad965c6acc2b20ebccecc0d20d04216f.jpg

*Edit*

I want to add: if you add Dosbox as an emulator, by putting -conf in the command-line, you can import .conf files as the roms and assuming the .conf file has the correct path to the game, they will load.

Edited by Koroth

6 minutes ago, Koroth said:

I don't know if you can replace the internal Dosbox with DOSBox SVN, but you can do this per game:

1659071400_Schermopname(90).thumb.jpg.405899d221a67676f313d9d257faae5a.jpg

Or if you want to use DOSBox SVN for all your games, add it as an emulator:

10387707_Schermopname(91).thumb.jpg.ad965c6acc2b20ebccecc0d20d04216f.jpg

thanks, and if i'm adding all the games there's some way to tell dosbox that i want to use a different .conf file for each game in one step? or i will need to specify later for each game the custom dosbox conf path?

2 hours ago, ReignerDeustcher said:

if i'm adding all the games there's some way to tell dosbox that i want to use a different .conf file for each game in one step

I am not sure what you want to "tell" Dosbox. The only thing Dosbox has to know is the path to your game and/or a cd-rom. You do this in the [autoexec] part of the .conf. For example:

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
# You can put your MOUNT lines here.
@echo off
SET PATH=Z:\
keyb US 437
cd\
mount C "\LaunchBox\Games\MS-DOS\Descent2"
Imgmount D "\LaunchBox\Games\MS-DOS\Descent2\cd\DESCENT_II.cue" -t cdrom
echo.
C:
cd\
Z:\config.com -securemode > nul
DESCENT2.EXE
exit

2 hours ago, ReignerDeustcher said:

or i will need to specify later for each game the custom dosbox conf path?

Or do you mean in LaunchBox? If you want to use Dosbox SVN as an alternative to LaunchBox's internal Dosbox, you can use the Bulk Edit Wizard. Select all your Dos games > right click a game > Edit > Next > In the "Field" dropdown menu select: "Custom Dosbox Version EXE Path" and change it to your folder containing Dosbox SVN.

If you want change to the .conf files as the rom, I think you have to re-import your games (or manually edit your games to point to the .conf file). But I don't know for sure. I myself had all my .conf files in one folder and I just imported that folder.

Also I like to mention that these days the Dosbox Pure core in RetroArch is becoming popular. It allows your games to be played as .zip files and configuring your controls through RetroArch is quite easy. 

Edited by Koroth

2 hours ago, Koroth said:

I am not sure what you want to "tell" Dosbox. The only thing Dosbox has to know is the path to your game and/or a cd-rom. You do this in the [autoexec] part of the .conf. For example:

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
# You can put your MOUNT lines here.
@echo off
SET PATH=Z:\
keyb US 437
cd\
mount C "\LaunchBox\Games\MS-DOS\Descent2"
Imgmount D "\LaunchBox\Games\MS-DOS\Descent2\cd\DESCENT_II.cue" -t cdrom
echo.
?
cd\
Z:\config.com -securemode > nul
DESCENT2.EXE
exit

Or do you mean in LaunchBox? If you want to use Dosbox SVN as an alternative to LaunchBox's internal Dosbox, you can use the Bulk Edit Wizard. Select all your Dos games > right click a game > Edit > Next > In the "Field" dropdown menu select: "Custom Dosbox Version EXE Path" and change it to your folder containing Dosbox SVN.

If you want change to the .conf files as the rom, I think you have to re-import your games (or manually edit your games to point to the .conf file). But I don't know for sure. I myself had all my .conf files in one folder and I just imported that folder.

Also I like to mention that these days the Dosbox Pure core in RetroArch is becoming popular. It allows your games to be played as .zip files and configuring your controls through RetroArch is quite easy. 

thanks for the detailed info, but you imported the folder with the .conf files after importing all the games? or you added the folder with all the games folders at the same time?

46 minutes ago, ReignerDeustcher said:

but you imported the folder with the .conf files after importing all the games

No. First, I made sure that all the .configs had the correct paths in them and pointing to the game folders. Then I made sure all the .conf were named after the game. For example: Descent (1995).conf. Then I imported the folder with the .configs AS the games (roms). I used the rom importer for this, not the MS-DOS game importer, with Dosbox-X as the emulator.

Edited by Koroth
  • Thanks 1

On 3/1/2021 at 6:15 AM, Koroth said:

No. First, I made sure that all the .configs had the correct paths in them and pointing to the game folders. Then I made sure all the .conf were named after the game. For example: Descent (1995).conf. Then I imported the folder with the .configs AS the games (roms). I used the rom importer for this, not the MS-DOS game importer, with Dosbox-X as the emulator.

sorry for the delay, if i name the conf file after the game the game doesn't start, just loads the dosbox-x

4 minutes ago, ReignerDeustcher said:

if i name the conf file after the game the game doesn't start, just loads the dosbox-x

1) Make sure your .conf contains the right path to the game folder and/or a cd-rom iso and also contains the games executable or .bat file under [autoexec].

433018100_Schermopname(96).thumb.jpg.1299eb9e9b1b64c358c64f7158ecc2b0.jpg

2) In LaunchBox > Tools > Manage Emulators > Dosbox-x > Edit Emulator tab, did you enter the -conf command-line parameter to load the game's .conf file?

1115928277_Schermopname(91).jpg.27edfb9ea65bd393902594c26dafce3d.thumb.jpg.6079ac7a0af8ad1915eeecef4744a34c.jpg

8 hours ago, Koroth said:

Here another example of a .conf file. This time of Duke Nukem 3D - Atomic Edition (1996) with DUKE3D.EXE as the game's executable.

1362479232_Schermopname(100).thumb.jpg.c67c179c649842e565047716b11ecaa9.jpg

yes i did the -conf thing

i have all my games like this and works fine in dosbox:

mount C C
imgmount D "CD\aitd3.cue" -t iso
#mount d f:\ -t cdrom
mixer master -d15
C :
cd infogram
aitd3
exit

so i have to modify all like the screens then?

Edited by ReignerDeustcher

3 minutes ago, ReignerDeustcher said:

mount C C
imgmount D "CD\aitd3.cue" -t iso

You must mount the game folders including the path like this:

[autoexec]
Mount C "D:\LaunchBox\Games\MS-DOS\Duke Nukem 3D - Atomic Edition (1996)\Duke3DAt\DUKE3D"
Imgmount D "D:\LaunchBox\Games\MS-DOS\Duke Nukem 3D - Atomic Edition (1996)\Duke3DAt\cd\KillATonCollection CD1.iso" -t cdrom

But for you, maybe the easiest thing to do is this:

On 3/1/2021 at 7:34 AM, Koroth said:

• Thanks 1