LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame not saving config

Hads

I promice this is my last question and im good , ive asked in mame but its not a good replying forum , when i shut off mame it dosnt save my controls and i have to refo them everytime , there is no cltrl in that folder and i installed with admin permissions and still dont , iseeevetyone else has a cltrl in the cltrl folder that will save the config when entered into mame conf settings , so why dont i have one and how doi install it so it will start mapping from the start. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Your controls are in the cfg folder, and default is just that the default you set in MAME, any "this machine" controls will be saved in that same folder under the name of the rom rather than default. The thing you have to remember about MAME is that if you start it without a controller on/connected, it wipes the MAME default.cfg. So create your controls and close MAME, then go to the default.cfg, right click it and go to properties, and check the box for read only. This will mean MAME cant wipe it, but if you need to change anything you will need to uncheck read only, make your changes and then re-enable it.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Your controls are in the cfg folder, and default is just that the default you set in MAME, any "this machine" controls will be saved in that same folder under the name of the rom rather than default. The thing you have to remember about MAME is that if you start it without a controller on/connected, it wipes the MAME default.cfg. So create your controls and close MAME, then go to the default.cfg, right click it and go to properties, and check the box for read only. This will mean MAME cant wipe it, but if you need to change anything you will need to uncheck read only, make your changes and then re-enable it.

Awesome i will give it a try thank you 

2 hours ago, neil9000 said:

K i set everything and then wen and made default read only and the individual games read only and restarted and everything was back to nothing set so i undid the read only to reprogram the controls and it wont let me set them now 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2021 at 3:06 PM, Hads said:

K i set everything and then wen and made default read only and the individual games read only and restarted and everything was back to nothing set so i undid the read only to reprogram the controls and it wont let me set them now 

K i got the above to work but now say every 2nd time the computer shuts down the pots change so my info is locked to what i set but now when the computer restarted say i had something set to joy1 now its joy 4 , so how do i stop the ports changing 

• 2 years later...

To the programmers of MAME, The defaults should be fixed in each setting (you cant delete them) (they could even be there, but hidden).  Any controls the user sets will be additional controls for each setting, this way MAME will always have the defaults and keep the users settings as well. If I knew how to do this I would do it myself.

It's so frustrating to come and find all your settings gone in everything for every rom out of nowhere, because the windows USB errors or something like that and you have to spend hours setting it all back up. I know you can set the read only in everything, but that can be a pain too when you get a new controller or windows changes something and you have to go back and do everything over again, plus uncheck the read only on everything making it take even longer.

Edited by nickybocker