LaunchBox Community Forums

Wrong and No Box Images on Import

StarshipUK

I am using the wizard to import ROMS.

I noticed I am having issues on several imports with the box images, but think they might be different issues. I have attached screenshots.

Firstly with Mame (latest full set without CHDs), I am hardly seeing any box images. The arcade image directory is only 213MB with 3,447 Files. I expect most of these are screenshots which seem to be OK. I am choosing Box -Front Box-Back and Screenshot - Gameplay

Second is Atari 2600 where I am using Rom Hunter's V16 set (which is the most complete Atari 2600 set I have found) from AtariAge. I think the issue might be is a lot of the ROMS have a ~ in the filename for some reason, and all the box images that seem to be failing are the ones which have a ~ in the filename.

Thirdly is the Sega Master System using No Intro EUROPE Roms only, where I am getting a lot of incorrect box images for wrong systems. As shown in the screenshot I am getting images for C64, Game gear, Xbox Arcade, rather than the classic Sega Master System European boxes. When importing using the wizard I am giving the folder the name Sega Master System EUROPE and importing to scrape as Sega Master System in the list, just choosing Box

The last image shown is the Epoch Super Cassette Vision which shows a system that has worked correctly showing all the correct box images. There are just a couple of images missing for this system, which I am guessing is due to the place the images are scraped from not having images of the boxes rather than a import issue. I have the original boxes for these missing titles. Is there somewhere I can submit these box images to be added to the place it scrapes the images from, so these all show for myself and others using this system in the future?

Atari 2600.png

MAME.png

Sega Master System.png

Super Cassette Vision.png

Just now, StarshipUK said:

Firstly with Mame (latest full set without CHDs), I am hardly seeing any box images.

Arcade machines are not cart/CD systems, they didnt come in small boxes with covers, you want to use Advertisement Flyer - Front for arcade games.

As for both of your other two issues they both sound like badly named roms, can you show us how those files are named please?

3 minutes ago, StarshipUK said:

The last image shown is the Epoch Super Cassette Vision which shows a system that has worked correctly showing all the correct box images. There are just a couple of images missing for this system, which I am guessing is due to the place the images are scraped from not having images of the boxes rather than a import issue. I have the original boxes for these missing titles. Is there somewhere I can submit these box images to be added to the place it scrapes the images from, so these all show for myself and others using this system in the future?

Our database is completely user maintained, and anyone can add games and images to it (although they will need to be approved by a certain amount of moderators first, and will take another 24 hours after being accepted to be scrapable from within Launchbox itself).

LaunchBox Games Database (launchbox-app.com)

There is something odd going on, but I have not worked out what. I am not doing or selecting anything differently.

I just deleted all the Sega Master System EUROPE games from Launchbox, the Sega Master System EUROPE folder from Images in Launchbox and imported them again, making no changes to the way I imported them. As you can see from the attached image they have now imported with correct boxes and screenshots. I did nothing differently to the way I imported them and I am stumped as to why they imported correctly this time.

Another folder which had image issues on import is Super Nintendo Entertainment System EUROPE. I just done the same as above and deleted them from Launchbox and the images from the folder and have reimported them, but they are still showing incorrect boxes and screenshots. I have attached images of the incorrect Super Nintendo Entertainment System EUROPE images showing in launchbox, the No Intro ROMS folder, and also a screenshot of Super Nintendo Entertainment System USA I imported (Using No intro USA ROMS) and shows all the boxes for the USA ROMS are showing correctly. Just not the Europe ones I am importing separately.

I have also attached an image showing the Atari 2600 Rom Hunter pack ROM names, but I am guessing still this is due to the fact the ROMs have the ~ added to the filenames in this pack.

Atari 2600 RomHunter ROMS.png

Sega Master System OK Now.png

SNES Europe ROMS.png

SNES Europe.png

SNES USA.png

I have been doing some more testing on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System EUROPE set and think it might be a possible bug in Launchbox.

What I have been doing during the import ROM Files sequence is:

What platform are you importing games for?

Super Nintendo Entertainment System EUROPE

Show default platforms (ticked)

Scrape As:

Super Nintendo Entertainment System

When I do this it imports incorrect box image files and screenshots.

As a test I deleted Super Nintendo Entertainment System EUROPE inside launchbox and the images folder and tried to import just as:

What platform are you importing games for?

Super Nintendo Entertainment System

When I tried this it worked! All the correct European Box Images and screenshots imported.

Its not a solution though as I would like this category to be called "Super Nintendo Entertainment System EUROPE" and not "Super Nintendo Entertainment System". It seems to be a possible bug in launchbox that if you create a custom category in What platform are you importing games for? even if you then choose the correct system in Scrape As:, it is not scraping the correct box images and screenshots like it should be.

More testing and I think I have figured it out. It is the "Show default platforms" checkbox in the wizard being ticked that is causing the problem.

By default the "Show default platforms" is ticked. Even if it was unticked the last time you used the wizard, and even if you enter a existing or new custom category name this option remains ticked.

If you untick this, it then loads the correct box images and screenshots.

It is not made clear that if you enter a custom category in "What platform are you importing games for?" you have to untick this box next to "Show default platforms" beneath it, otherwise it will not import box images and screenshots (and possibly other media if selected) correctly. Would explain why some categories that I have kept as the default names have all worked fine. I guess I must have unticked this the second time I imported the Sega Master System Europe ROMs.

As for the Atari 2600 Rom Hunter Pack, there is also a Harmony Cart folder in the pack with different ROM file name that do not contain the ~ in the filename which all appear to be working correctly downloading all the box images and screenshots. There is less files, but it is still a complete collection so I will use those moving forward.

Thanks for the MAME image info. I will reimport the images for MAME later as that takes a while to import.

Ignore that last post, as its still not working for all systems whether that box is ticked or not.

It works fine everytime the default category is used in What platform are you importing games for? but becomes totally unreliable if using a custom category name there when importing, sometimes downloading the correct box images and screenshots and sometimes downloading the wrong ones. I am still guessing this is a bug in launchbox doing this, but have spent too much time testing getting nowhere so I will now wait until a solution is posted or I am asked to test anything specific to help solve this.