LaunchBox Community Forums

Finbal Burn Alpha with launchbox and RetroArch

Albiorix

Whats the correct way to import final burn alpha games in to launchbox to run with retroarch? i have the latest version of both pieces of software. i can open retroarch and launch most of the games i have using the fbneo core but when i go in to launch box and launch the games. the launchbox loading spash screen comes up then it just goes away and im looking at launchbox still. I'm assuming that i've imported the games wrong or didn't configure retroarch in launchbox correctly but im not sure how to configure it any other way.

11 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

The first thing i'd check  is the emulator settings in LB and see if you have the extract roms box checked which you do not want for arcade roms.

I have checked and they are each still in the zip file, not extracted. Also i do no have that setting checked in the emulator settings in LB

Edited by Albiorix
more info

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

You need to add the platform as well as the core it should use to the associated platform tab of your Retroarch emulator entry.

i have added them as Arcade and then under associated files in the emulator settings i added Arcade and set the core to the lib_fbneo core, is that the correct way to do it?

3 minutes ago, Albiorix said:

i have added them as Arcade and then under associated files in the emulator settings i added Arcade and set the core to the lib_fbneo core, is that the correct way to do it?

Can i see some images? One of the main edit emulator screen for Retroarch, then the Associated Platform screen showing your entry for this system, and then right click a game in that platform and choose edit, and can i see images of the "Launching" tab as well as the "Emulation" tab, thanks.

5 minutes ago, zugswang said:

These are the FBA cores in RA:

fbalpha2012_neogeo_libretro-aes.dll
fbalpha_libretro.dll
fbalpha_libretro-aes.dll
fbalpha2012_cps1_libretro.dll
fbalpha2012_cps2_libretro.dll
fbalpha2012_cps3_libretro.dll
fbalpha2012_libretro.dll
fbalpha2012_neogeo_libretro.dll

this is the one im using, https://docs.libretro.com/library/fbneo/

the fbalpha cores would not work for me at all when testing them in retro arch but using the fbneo core all the games load and play

Just now, neil9000 said:

Can i see some images? One of the main edit emulator screen for Retroarch, then the Associated Platform screen showing your entry for this system, and then right click a game in that platform and choose edit, and can i see images of the "Launching" tab as well as the "Emulation" tab, thanks.

yes, i will post them when i go on lunch, im at work atm but i will go home at lunch and grab the sreens

Just now, neil9000 said:

If you have a current FBA romset you should be using the fbneo core and nothing else.

yes thats the only core i have loaded after testing and removing all the roms and re-importing them multiple times. I have the FinalBurn Alpha Rom Set - Version 029728 and thats the only roms i am using

22 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Also just to assure you, this system does work just fine, so its a configuration issue in Launchbox somewhere, hence the request for images, its much easier to spot issues that way than back and forth descriptions.

oh yeah, im 100% certain its something im doing wrong

2 minutes ago, Albiorix said:

ah i see that now, i must have miss clicked the wrong one. ok i will try again once im back home. thanks for pointing that out to me!

If you dont have that specific core downloaded, then nothing is ever gonna launch. Launchbox is telling Retroarch to load the game you chose, into the core you specified, if  Retroarch does not see that core (which it wont of course if you dont have it in the cores folder), then the mouse cursor will just spin, and do nothing at all.

• 1 year later...

Hello guys!

Please i need your help! I have launchbox and is working like a charm for ps1, snes and other platforms BUT i have a problem with fba.

I have a rom (metal slug X)

image.thumb.png.e387233743e21aa982bcaefa2d704f2c.png

and i import it with the below settings

image.thumb.png.4874ac5f4c45c3c7bf1e5433f411491c.png

image.thumb.png.6d5cbae7dde4c941fd47ea24d0f5a89e.png

image.thumb.png.2f5d46797f93b7cad1786843829305b9.png

image.thumb.png.de85243961e0c9b4f2c5efdbd43229fc.png

and when i run the game i get this message

image.thumb.png.1ff09e5bb35920ad44d22aaf7857738c.png

What am i doing wrong???

15 minutes ago, whoami said:

Hello guys!

Please i need your help! I have launchbox and is working like a charm for ps1, snes and other platforms BUT i have a problem with fba.

I have a rom (metal slug X)

image.thumb.png.e387233743e21aa982bcaefa2d704f2c.png

and i import it with the below settings

image.thumb.png.4874ac5f4c45c3c7bf1e5433f411491c.png

image.thumb.png.6d5cbae7dde4c941fd47ea24d0f5a89e.png

image.thumb.png.2f5d46797f93b7cad1786843829305b9.png

image.thumb.png.de85243961e0c9b4f2c5efdbd43229fc.png

and when i run the game i get this message

image.thumb.png.1ff09e5bb35920ad44d22aaf7857738c.png

What am i doing wrong???

The error is telling you exactly what is wrong, your rom doesnt match what the emulator is expecting. This is why you dont download random arcade roms from the internet, the rom version must match the current version that the emulator is expecting, you cant use any rom with any version of a emulator, arcade is not the same as other systems. Also you do not know what type of rom that is, if it is from a split or merged set you will be missing the neogeo bios which is clearly not in your image, the game wont work without that, another reason downloading random arcade roms is a bad idea.