LaunchBox Community Forums

Need help!! Backing up the whole arcade cabinet but the folder sizes show different from the original

kritvichu

Hi there,

I just completed my arcade cabinet setup. I spent a year and a half compiling, configuring, customizing details, and testing to ensure everything run perfectly on my arcade cabinet. All the hard work was done yesterday. Everything works fine now ,and it is about time to back up the whole thing. 

I hit Ctrl + A,  then right click on a mouse and select "Copy." I put all emulators and roms to my backup HDD.  Once it completed many hours later, I went to each folder to check the folder size ( do so by right click and select properties). I noticed the sizes were different from the original and the copied destination.  I can't tell what files were missing because it didn't show any error sign or anything during the copy process.

I attached 3 set of pictures showing the folder size. On each picture, the left one is from the actual arcade cabinet and the right one is where I backed up it to my HDD.

I am so concerned because I spent so my time on this machine. If some file are missing in the backup, it would be such a waste of time investing on this thing.

How can I verify if all files are backed up successfully? Is there any better command to do this task?

rom.JPG

emulators.JPG

material size.JPG

I found a problem. It was Windows 10 Real-Time virus detection. All of missing files shown in the protection history. Once I restored those quarantine logs, all folder sizes were matched from source and destination.

Yeah, those quarantine files were from TeknoParrot, pc-based rom patches, game loader RH and config. Those files are crucial for TeknoParrot and Taito games to run. Windows detected them as viruses/malware. All false positives.

If I’d had a chance to go back in time when building a pc arcade, I’d have picked Windows7 rather than Windows 10. For arcade cabinet, it has no need for any OS updates or virus detection stuffs. It’s a safe zone to play in a man cave, not even need to go online at all if not playing online games. The more Windows updates I got, the more weird stuffs and headaches to fix.

Edited by kritvichu
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, kritvichu said:

If I’d had a chance to go back in time when building a pc arcade, I’d have picked Windows7 rather than Windows 10. For arcade cabinet, it has no need for any OS updates or virus detection stuffs.

Except Window 7 is no longer supported, by Microsoft, and to a lesser extent by Launchbox. It will work, but would need much more manual work than Windows 8 and 10.

image.thumb.png.d3f62ba088173ca7563692a5d4e9d9c3.png

If this is a isolated machine like you say, then just disable windows defender. Id much prefer to use Windows 10 with no defender than to use the completely outdated Windows 7 at this point in time.

5 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Except Window 7 is no longer supported, by Microsoft, and to a lesser extent by Launchbox. It will work, but would need much more manual work than Windows 8 and 10.

image.thumb.png.d3f62ba088173ca7563692a5d4e9d9c3.png

If this is a isolated machine like you say, then just disable windows defender. Id much prefer to use Windows 10 with no defender than to use the completely outdated Windows 7 at this point in time.

Thanks, neil9000.

Could you suggest me how to clone my pc to use on a new machine?

I created a system image and stored on my backup HDD. As far as I know, that system image can only work with my pc based on the hardware ID. The PC is old like 8 years ago. I got it later year from OfferUps.  I don't know how roughly it been used by the two previous owners who used in an IT and a gamer.  I'm concerned that one day (hope not so soon), the mainboard or CPU may not work anymore. 

On my setup, I created 2 partitions; C and D.

C drive is stored only Windows OS and all required app to run, like AHK script, Joy2Key, Borderless Gaming, Logitech steering wheel profiler, PS3 scptool controller, GOG, Stream, ...etc. Many of these apps require to install prerequisite software too before I can run, like .NET FrameWork, Visual C++,...etc.   I went through many setting configuration to make them work on those Platforms. I can't remember what I did them all.

D drive has all emulators and ROMs in there. GOG and Stream games are in here. Launchbox is also in that drive. All ROMs are in separate folder not inside the Launchbox container. 

I created a System Image on C drive and backed up all my D drive on an external HDD and network drive.  So, if the motherboard fails, I don't think I can reuse that system image on a new machine. I don't want to install an OS and those required app again. That would be a lot of works. I might forget how I set it up at the first place already when that situation happens. i did some research how to reuse that system image on a new hardware and found a program called  EaseUS Todo Backup. It claims to support system transfer to a new machine for $30. I doubt if this answers to my problem or not. Or I might end up wasting and still not work. That would be a disaster when it happens.

Edited by kritvichu