LaunchBox Community Forums

"BBox - Front" images folder changed to "Front"

joelkolb

I've noticed that all of a sudden, many of my box covers are missing or incorrect in the UI even though the files exist in what I thought was the correct folder. I did some investigating and it seems like the folder under "LaunchBox\Images\{PLATFORM}" where 2D front box cover images are stored was changed from "Box - Front" to "Front". This is not a change that I made. In fact, if there is a way within LaunchBox to make changes to the folder structure it uses for images I'm not aware of it. So, I'm assuming this change was made during a recent update. If that is the case, I would imagine there would have been an automatic process to migrate to the new folder structure, but that didn't seem to happen for me. Manually renaming the "Box - Front" folder to "Front" or moving the contents from "Box - Front" to "Front" does not fix the issue entirely as after trying that there are still many games with missing or incorrect front box covers. Before I embark on the tedious process of manually fixing each box cover that has been broken, is there a simple way to fix this that I'm not aware of?

1 hour ago, joelkolb said:

I've noticed that all of a sudden, many of my box covers are missing or incorrect in the UI even though the files exist in what I thought was the correct folder. I did some investigating and it seems like the folder under "LaunchBox\Images\{PLATFORM}" where 2D front box cover images are stored was changed from "Box - Front" to "Front". This is not a change that I made. In fact, if there is a way within LaunchBox to make changes to the folder structure it uses for images I'm not aware of it. So, I'm assuming this change was made during a recent update. If that is the case, I would imagine there would have been an automatic process to migrate to the new folder structure, but that didn't seem to happen for me. Manually renaming the "Box - Front" folder to "Front" or moving the contents from "Box - Front" to "Front" does not fix the issue entirely as after trying that there are still many games with missing or incorrect front box covers. Before I embark on the tedious process of manually fixing each box cover that has been broken, is there a simple way to fix this that I'm not aware of?

Nothing has been changed here from Launchbox, Box - Front is still the name of the folder. You have something stranger happening.

image.thumb.png.a508409d3a7be84f8794f417cf14515b.png

I have also just noticed that it isn't every platform where this is happening. Some platforms do still appear to be using "Box - Front". @neil9000 might you have any idea how LaunchBox could be made to start using a different folder like this? Is there a setting that can be changed somewhere or a value in an xml file that could make it look to a different folder? If I can get some grasp on how a change like this happened and how it can be reversed I'd feel a lot more comfortable.

Just now, joelkolb said:

I have also just noticed that it isn't every platform where this is happening. Some platforms do still appear to be using "Box - Front". @neil9000 might you have any idea how LaunchBox could be made to start using a different folder like this? Is there a setting that can be changed somewhere or a value in an xml file that could make it look to a different folder? If I can get some grasp on how a change like this happened and how it can be reversed I'd feel a lot more comfortable.

You can specify folders for any media type in Tools/Manage Platforms/Name Of Platform/Folders tab. However this has to be done manually one by one for every folder for every platform, and all that is happening is you are redirecting to a different folder. Launchbox itself does not rename folders in this way though, i mean in this case folders are renamed to a name that Launchbox itself doesnt understand as a valid image type name, so why or even how it could ever do that in the first place i do not know. That is why i said in my original reply that you have something strange going on, something possibly not at all related to Launchbox itself.

Are you using any other softwares or plugins that interact with Launchbox in any way that could be causing this issue?

@neil9000 No, no plugins or external programs. It's a pretty simple build that I made for my son about 8 months ago. Just LaunchBox/BigBox and RetroArch doing all the emulation. I was just adding some games to it when this started happening. I did just check under "Manage Platforms" like you said and the affected platforms do have the path set as "Front" instead of "Box - Front". I believe you that this is not a LaunchBox problem and something else is afoot. But at least knowing there is a simple way to change it built into the software and that this is likely how the change was made does make me feel somewhat better. Thanks!