LaunchBox Community Forums

Best Way to Launchbox My Legends Ultimate!

Hamfighter

Long time Launcboxer with my Tankstick.  Recently bought a Legends Ultimate, and, for what it is, it's great.  For my needs, its the perfect size, screen, controls etc. 

BUT - it's no Launchbox!

Has anyone converted their Legends Ultimate to a Launchbox, and how did you do it?

Thanks!!!

Thats really cool! Sorry to not give the best answer here. I don't have one of these cabs (or any cab lol) but I do know that Launchbox needs windows to run. I don't believe this cabinet runs windows. I did see a video on YouTube just now where someone booted into that coinops front end through a USB. Maybe you can set up a windows thumb drive to somehow boot from and install LB on it. Good luck man!

See if this helps you idk

Edited by Dan Patrick

• 1 year later...
On 5/11/2021 at 4:33 AM, Hamfighter said:

Long time Launcboxer with my Tankstick.  Recently bought a Legends Ultimate, and, for what it is, it's great.  For my needs, its the perfect size, screen, controls etc. 

BUT - it's no Launchbox!

Has anyone converted their Legends Ultimate to a Launchbox, and how did you do it?

Thanks!!!

Hi! Did you go through with this? Did you find a solution? I'm considering buying this myself, but launchbox and a beefier machine is a requirement :D

As I fired up my ALU for the first time in weeks to play the built in Frontline, I thought again about how to do it!

So no, nothing yet. 

I would want it to be purely native (not run through the ALU system at all. 

I was thinking today to perhaps built a duplicate controller to the same dimensions as the controller/computer portion of the ALU to simply drop in. That way, reversible. 

I really think the ALU has pretty much nailed the controls you want (joysticks, spinners, trackball). I have a Tron stick on the right, and I would want a “firable” spinner like Frontline or Tron on the left. 

Would also have to figure out how to connect the built in monitor to a PC. May not be worth the effort though.

I’ve never built a controller from scratch, but that’s what I’m thinking. 

What are y’all thinking?

Edited by Hamfighter
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

U can connect ur pc directly to ur alu using the hdmi port for video and usb port for the controller and put the alu in otg mode or via streaming thru ur home network alu controllers can also connect to ur pc via Bluetooth as well many videos on YouTube explaining how this is how I’ve done it to play games thru pc (big box and steam) also to play pandora box and other retro console boxes and basically anything u can hook a Bluetooth controller to will work most of these emulators and consoles use standard Xbox controller configurations so I use a Xbox controller emulator for when I have my pc connected or u can use joy to key and save different configurations for each device u want to connect 

• 1 year later...

I don't know how I missed seeing your reply a year ago!

I wound up continuing to slum it with just CoinOpsX, but still just not the same at Launch/Big.

Seems like USB would be the easiest way to connect the ALU controls to a PC, but maybe wrong.  Is it pretty simple to just assign both sticks, the spinner, trackball and all the buttons within Launchbox?

Just did another google search for the first time in a year, and still not coming up with any good tutorials on using the Legends Ultimate with Launchbox.

Thanks again

On 11/29/2022 at 8:38 PM, jaysause said:

U can connect ur pc directly to ur alu using the hdmi port for video and usb port for the controller and put the alu in otg mode or via streaming thru ur home network alu controllers can also connect to ur pc via Bluetooth as well many videos on YouTube explaining how this is how I’ve done it to play games thru pc (big box and steam) also to play pandora box and other retro console boxes and basically anything u can hook a Bluetooth controller to will work most of these emulators and consoles use standard Xbox controller configurations so I use a Xbox controller emulator for when I have my pc connected or u can use joy to key and save different configurations for each device u want to connect