LaunchBox Community Forums

How to set emulator command, file.ext

knapman

Hi, I am currently trying to setup an emulator with the command format

app.exe file.ext

It appears to only have an option for file without extension, where do you customise this?

The only option I have found is to do a per game override requiring a manual edit for every rom which seems a crazy way to do it when a simple global command could be working

3 minutes ago, knapman said:

Hi, I am currently trying to setup an emulator with the command format

app.exe file.ext

It appears to only have an option for file without extension, where do you customise this?

The only option I have found is to do a per game override requiring a manual edit for every rom which seems a crazy way to do it when a simple global command could be working

I dont really understand your question here, but i think you want to add a command line to the emulator? If so Tools/Manage emulators/name of emulator. Of course the emulator in question must be able to understand the command you are using.

27 minutes ago, knapman said:

while the result I want would look like

app.exe file.extension

Sorry if I misunderstood. (And I still don't understand.) But isn't that the standard way how pretty much ALL emulators launch roms / files? It is the standard way how LaunchBox passes roms to emulators. Could you please provide some more information about what you are trying to do?

39 minutes ago, knapman said:

You mean your emulator. In that case, there is nothing that LaunchBox can do to change that.

So the tickbox you highlighted modifies the command between the two formats

app.exe path\file (the wording would suggest this option does actually include the extension)

or

app.exe file (file name only, path and extension stripped out)

I am simply looking to achieve a launch command that does not include path but still keeps the extension

What exactly are you trying to do, with which emulator, and why? Im just really confused right now, whatever it is you are trying to do i dont believe anyone else has ever asked about before, so it clearly isnt something that is needed by any emulator, maybe if i understood the use case, it would be easier for me to wrap my head around what you are actually asking for here.

43 minutes ago, knapman said:

I am simply looking to achieve a launch command that does not include path but still keeps the extension

Try the following: In the command-line enter %romfile% followed by the file extension. So you get for example %romfile%.txt. Then tick "Use file name only without file extension or folder path". You may also need or not need to tick "Don't use quotes". (It has been a long time since I done this, so I am not sure if I remember this correctly and if it actually worked.)

*Edit*

Come to think of it, if it doesn't work, you may need to tick "Don't use quotes". But have %romfile%.txt between quotes. "%romfile%.txt". See if you can get it to work.

Edited by Koroth

So this is the command line formatting required by 1964 GEPD, and there are actually a few posts touching on the topic about problems setting up this emulator that are generally unresolved, this is how I come across the game specific command override work around, but some of that stuff is quite old and I had assumed there must be ways to make simple edits to the launch commands and fix it properly.

If there is confusion as to why I am setting up this emulator specifically, it is because this is how you can play goldeneye / perfect dark nicely with mouse and fov customisation, I do not believe there are alternatives to this so this is still the best emulator around for this.

@Koroth I didn't have any luck with the %romfile% approach, but its interesting if there is advanced syntax for modifying the launch command, this is what I was hoping to see, is there documentation on these commands? There is the slight issue of emulators not specifically using just one extension so if it was hard set then I guess i'd have to look at converting between formats, lol it is such a funny situation, I really thought this would be a simple thing to do.

15 minutes ago, knapman said:

I didn't have any luck with the %romfile% approach

398468044_Schermopname(7).thumb.jpg.b86a50aa7a0854c526af3e78d65cd1f0.jpg

Or

1106554749_Schermopname(8).thumb.jpg.8a7e4b969d24e0d49faebdad32c1d799.jpg

For more information about setting up 1964 GEPD I would check its files to see if there is a readme or other documentation. Also you could try opening 1964 GEPD in a command window with -help or -h.

15 minutes ago, knapman said:

this is what I was hoping to see, is there documentation on these commands?

In this thtead:

More specifically in this post:

Edited by Koroth

Let me take the chance to show that %romfile% actually works. In the emulator settings I changed %romfile%.txt to %romfile%.lol.

1558892053_Schermopname(9).thumb.jpg.98eaa5aca71c5d0313c5f151cb41c8af.jpg 

I setup notepad as an emulator. After adding and launching a text file (New Document.txt) via LaunchBox, notepad complains it can't find New Document.lol. (Because no path and an unknown file extension.)

29372022_Schermopname(10).thumb.jpg.6bf34bd65f8a432e39bc90d4fe1884bf.jpg

Edited by Koroth
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, knapman said:

After thinking about it some more, are you sure 1964 GEPD doesn't want a path. It is possible but then 1964 GEPD, in its' settings or config file, must have an option to give a path to your roms. Or it wants the roms in its own roms/games folder. Maybe you can look at that.

ok yes it is working with this approach, I missed a switch out when I first tried, there is still the issue of the extension being hard set, if a similar %extension% style launch variable existed then it would be nice

I am sure about what 1964 needs, I had it setup with the game specific overrides, but I wanted to make it universal so adding games 'just works', and I wanted to ask as customising the launch commands seemed like something worth learning about in general. 

Even if the situations are rare, it seems really odd to have launch parameters locked to a few fixed templates, having some advanced vars for path / filename / ext would be great so exceptions can be handled when they come up.

• Game On 1

Glad you got it working!

7 minutes ago, knapman said:

there is still the issue of the extension being hard set

I myself have all my roms for a system in the same format as much as possible, so I don't run into problems like that. But if you want "a standard command-line" you can always setup an emulator multiple times in LaunchBox with different command-lines.