LaunchBox Community Forums

Need help running Atari 800 games with retroarch

rmetzger

I have the games downloaded and some work, others just sit there. I made a 2nd copy of retroarch, called the folder retroarch 2 as I have the 5200 running on my primary retroarch. Atlantis, I can boot up, hit the fire button and play the game with no problem. Frogger/Berzerk, the game boots up but I can't start a game. Every button I hit does nothing, not sure if there is a certain way to start this or not. Demon attack, I boot it up, a splash screen comes up that says demon attack and no matter what button I hit it does nothing. Ideas on how to get this to work? One thing I see could be an issue is that the emulator seems to use F4 for the start button, however I have servosticks and F4 turns it to a 4 way joystick. Not sure if this is part of my issue or not. Any help would be appreciated. I never owned an Atari computer and would love to get these games working to play and to compare to the atari 2600/5200, arcade systems.

There are several threads on this but check that you:

1) Have the correct Atari 800 Roms

2) Changed the core option settings for Atari System (if doing from front end) from "5200" to one of the Atari 800 options. 

1041787401_RetroArchScreenshot2021_06.28-23_09_09_27.thumb.png.d1286ad32a7f27eda95834047cc7ac23.png

1513501440_RetroArchScreenshot2021_06.28-23_14_31_34.thumb.png.b82bb09289535285f46b46f99d6487f8.png

If doing from the configuration files in RA you should see a setting called "atari800_system ="  More than likely that is still set to 5200.  

atari800_system = "400/800 (OS B)"

Edited by sundogak

It is set to altar 400/800 as a few of the games work.  Atlantis and another game I started with no problem.    Problem seems to be how do you start a game.    Atlantis I just pushed the fire button and it worked.  Another game I hit the fire button, it said hit trigger button, and it worked.  Other games like frogged and berzerk sit at the start screen but won’t let me start.  I’m hitting my “start” button on my control pad but nothing.    Must be something else I need to don. Also not sure what you mean by the “correct Atari 800 roms” 

My reference to Atari roms was that you have the appropriate machine bios roms required.  The path to those is determined by the file .atari800.cfg which is usually in your root Retroarch directory. If you have some games launching, then likely not the issue.  

There also can be some challenges with cartridge based Atari 800 games in that the some sources didn't have the proper headers to tell the emulator what type of cartridge was being used.  Some emulators have a built in database that use a checksum to determine how to launch cart, but that isn't always foolproof (i.e., won't run).  Unfortunately, there is a mish mash of images floating around and hard to tell.  Usually if you see an extension with ".car" then the header should be intact should likely run fine.  Similarly, if an ATR extension should run since those are floppy disk images and don't have any header issue.  If extension is "rom" or "bin" then it may or may not have the right header. There are two useful tools to help with carts:  Atari ROM Maker which takes BIN and ROM cartridge images and applies a header and Atari ROM Checker which just gives information as to if the file does or doesn't have header (search via Google with those names).  

If controls issue then when launch the game open up RA settings window and check your controller type is set to Atari Joystick for things like Frogger.  

Lastly, the RA core works well enough for 5200 but the core that RA uses is an old version of Atari 800 (3.1 vs standalone 4.1), so can also be issues there as well.  

Edited by sundogak