LaunchBox Community Forums

How do I match the version of FB Neo RA core to the romset version?

PurpleTentacle

I understand how MAME romsets & the romset/MAME versions work (I.E. you match the version of MAME with the romset version that you're using), so I only upgrade MAME when I upgrade my romset (I'm using standalone MAME by default with the MAME RA core just as an option in LaunchBox)... But when it comes to the FB Neo core in RetroArch, I'm not sure when I should stop upgrading the FB Neo core so that I don't overshoot the MAME romset version that I'm using (currently MAME .233). I only update every now again, so I'm not planning on staying on top of the MAME romset. 

I should mention that I have 2 Platforms for arcade games in LaunchBox - the default Arcade Platform uses standalone MAME as default, and a Platform that I named, "Arcade - Final Burn Neo" which uses RetroArch's FB Neo core as the default. They both point to the same romset to save space (as well as the same image & video folders), and I'm planning on seeing which games require some kind of prepping to use in FB Neo so that I can point the Final Burn Neo Platform entries to those specific files. 

Just out of curiosity, does Final Burn Alpha (the RetroArch core) work in a similar way in terms of matching the core version to the romset version? I have the FB Alpha core as another option (I.E. right clicking on a game and selecting "Launch With...", just so that it's there).

4 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

FBA/FBN has it's own rom set and versioning just like with Mame but the roms while extremely similar to Mame they are not 100% compatible. There is some crossover in roms and there is some compatibility though.

screenshot_58.jpg.fb855e67ed5cd1525ef4fdfce3f33ba5.jpg

Thanks, my plane is to go in & test out which files are not compatible, and then import those separately so that it points to the MAME files that are compatible. Once I get it set up, I'll just leave it until I'm ready to update both.