LaunchBox Community Forums

If Retroarch is a frontend and LaunchBox is a frontend, why do I need to use Retroarch within LaunchBox?

MrHwang

I'm trying to figure out the relationship between Retroarch and Launchbox, and how to "correctly" use the two together. 

If Retroarch is free and has something that Launchbox needs, why doesn't Launchbox (or Bigbox) build it into their frontend?

Also wish there was a complete packaged solution for pc, like there is for retropie, is there?

Thanks for the help. 

PS.  I've tried to research this question but have not found any good answers to it. 

Edited by MrHwang

39 minutes ago, MrHwang said:

If Retroarch is free and has something that Launchbox needs, why doesn't Launchbox (or Bigbox) build it into their frontend?

Because Launchbox is only focusing on being a frontend, not an all-in-one emulator. LB gives you the freedom to use any emulator or program you want, not just the limited built in cores like Retroarch does.

54 minutes ago, MrHwang said:

Because up until recently the Retroarch team did not want Jason to integrate it into Launchbox but they have changed their stance on this recently.

55 minutes ago, MrHwang said:

Also wish there was a complete packaged solution for pc, like there is for retropie, is there?

There are some personal builds out there on the internet but they will require some searching on your end due to the fact that all of them include roms.

Also it is much easier to do a full pre packaged solution for a Pie because the hardware configuration is completely known unlike a PC where hardware configurations vary drastically.

why do I need to use Retroarch within LaunchBox?

You don't have to if you don't want to. You can use Retroarch on its own or you can use any other emulator you choose in Launchbox.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Because up until recently the Retroarch team did not want Jason to integrate it into Launchbox but they have changed their stance on this recently.

There are some personal builds out there on the internet but they will require some searching on your end due to the fact that all of them include roms.

Also it is much easier to do a full pre packaged solution for a Pie because the hardware configuration is completely known unlike a PC where hardware configurations vary drastically.

You don't have to if you don't want to. You can use Retroarch on its own or you can use any other emulator you choose in Launchbox.

That makes a lot of sense, now.  Thanks.  Glad to hear there may be some tighter integration between the two. 

I guess what I also needed to learn (and just learned is):  Launchbox/Bigbox is for visually pleasing / comfortable user interface to manage roms, while retroarch is for managing the emulators.  Maybe this isn't correct, but that's my understanding for now.

Launchbox is a frontend for just about anything you can think of if you want to put in the time to set it up. You can pretty much any emulator you like (as long as it supports command line loading of games). And if you wanted to set it up as a media device for videos or comics you can.

Retroarch is a frontend for the Libretro cores which is their emulators. The cores are the emulators while Retroarch handles all the video, audio and input options.