LaunchBox Community Forums

Commodore 128 - VICE settings needed to play games

cleverest

Actually I just launched this game and it seems to be loading...it made me Press F12 and set monitor columns from 40 to 80 lines to work, but then it launches... 

image.thumb.png.2ab17246f84d1d156980a388b165413c.png

image.thumb.png.988c38bb409453bb2eaea37fcd7b43eb.png 

then it had me press F12 and change to the B side of this game, then it loads and plays fine.

image.thumb.png.7b4f8fd0a955b737bd716f3501507afa.png

HOW TO I MAKE THIS EASIER? how do I preload disk A and B on games that have two games, any other tips/screenshot examples would be deeply appreciated, thank you!

Edited by cleverest

14 hours ago, cleverest said:

I can't get this working...or should I be using Retroarch? How do you all have this one set up? Can you share your settings, command lines used, etc?

Thanks in advance!

In my experience these emulators don't work well with archived games. Have you unpacked them before launching?

54 minutes ago, SiriusVI said:

In my experience these emulators don't work well with archived games. Have you unpacked them before launching?

Yes I tried the zips, but that failed completely, now they are decompressed to:

.D64 (some work),
.D81 (some work)
.png, (see below)
.lnx (only a few are these)

I mostly need help loading these full screen, and pre-loading the SIDE A-B sides of the few multi-disk titles....and gracefully exiting the system (pressing ESC ideally)

Also the PRG files at most launch to this type of window - sometimes if I type run and press enter it will play, sometimes a title will not....any way to autoload this PRG formatted games?:

image.thumb.png.21906ac1ad2fc2eae8c45dbb1e8babaa.png

1 minute ago, cleverest said:

Yes I tried the zips, but that failed completely, now they are decompressed to:

.D64 (some work),
.D81 (some work)
.png, (see below)
.lnx (only a few are these)

I mostly need help loading these full screen, and pre-loading the SIDE A-B sides of the few multi-disk titles....and gracefully exiting the system (pressing ESC ideally)

Also the PRG files at most launch to this type of window - sometimes if I type run and press enter it will play, sometimes a title will not....any way to autoload this PRG formatted games?:

image.thumb.png.21906ac1ad2fc2eae8c45dbb1e8babaa.png

I use the retroarch core. You can feed it .m3u playlists of games that have side A and B and easily swap disks. Creating these .m3u files is a bit of a hassle, though.

PRG files are really tricky sometimes. I cannot get all of them to work. Same as what you wrote: sometimes you can type "run" and it works. Sometimes you also need to test out some settings within the emulator. I guess there is no one size fits all solution for these computer systems.

• Like 1

Just now, cleverest said:

I'll try to use Retroarch. What are are you using for Commodore 128 roms?

You need the vice 128 core. However, I don't know if you'll be better off with it. I think the standalone emulator actually autoloads more games with less tweaking than retroarch. But definitely try it and see if you can get it to work the way you want.