LaunchBox Community Forums

New Android LaunchBox and NAS support

Kuro Houou

So I have 4 Nvidia Shields in my house, literally every TV in my house has one, I love being able to pick up a controller no matter where I am and just start gaming ;) Even on mobile devices all my saves get sync'd thanks to DriveSync.  That said one thing I have enabled on every Shield is mounted storage to my NAS.  This way, all my ROMs can be stored in one location without taking up any space on my actual shield and the precious limited storage they have (I have SD cards in them but they are smallish at 32GB too).  I love LaunchBox/BigBox but when I went to set this up on my Shield, I went to Import Games and low and behold its not showing my mounted storage???  I figured to Android its just another folder, why doesn't LaunchBox show it?  It shows my /storage/emulated/0 folder and the storage for my sd card... but thats it... I can't go up to a root directory and select my mounted storage.  This is a huge issue as it effectively limits what I can play to my 32GB SD cards. 

Please Please Please let me use my mounted storage, its what makes the Shield such an amazing device!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Oh one last thing I will add... Would love to be able to just point LaunchBox for Android to my LaunchBox folder on my NAS that the PC version uses.  Would be amazing if I just had to have one backend instance of LaunchBox with all my games and configs... I realize that might be tough seeing as they are different platforms though.... With that said, my next best option is to have the Android LaunchBox folder on my NAS that all my Shields/Android devices can point to when I am on my home network.  That way they are always in sync, I don't have to configure each one individually etc... That would be my utopia for Android Launchbox (This is what I have setup for all my PCs now btw, works amazing!) ;)

@Kuro Houou Good to know. I'll look into the possibility of supporting the Shield's network storage. The fact that it doesn't show up automatically means that it's not using default Android mechanisms, honestly, because otherwise it would just work. But I'll do my best to figure out how to make it show up. The Shield has been the biggest pain in the butt device to support thus far lol (it's obvious that they've done a relatively poor job implementing the various Android APIs). Regardless, hopefully we can make it happen.

Per using the same LaunchBox folder on the desktop and on Android, that isn't likely going to work. There's too many differences in the data files between the desktop and Android. But in theory, you might be able to get away with putting the LaunchBox Android folder on network storage. It is likely to affect performance though, especially when loading up all the images. ROMs should be no problem, but the media is another story.

I appreciate your dedication to the Shield that is for sure.  I am guessing Nvidia possibly did things differently to make it work the way they wanted, it’s an amazing device all things considered.

I thought it would be a long shot to share one LaunchBox folder so not to surprised there.

I haven’t had any issues with the PC versions on my NAS but suspect android might be a little slower.. but are you using lower quality/sized images by chance as well? That might help things actually.  I found LaunchBox on my Pixel 4 very fast, honestly it surprised me :)

if you could figure out how to present the NAS/mounted storage for the Shield I will be ever greatful! It’s the last piece to the puzzle :)

Edited by Kuro Houou
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Did this ever get solved? I installed Launchbox on my Shield TV Pro and I'm still getting this issue. That being said, I downloaded Reset Collection and it has the same symptoms. Not sure if this is related to the big storage changes from Android 11 or not? My Network storage is definitely mounted and Kodi sees it fine. Thanks in advance!

10 hours ago, Buckshot60 said:

Did this ever get solved? I installed Launchbox on my Shield TV Pro and I'm still getting this issue. That being said, I downloaded Reset Collection and it has the same symptoms. Not sure if this is related to the big storage changes from Android 11 or not? My Network storage is definitely mounted and Kodi sees it fine. Thanks in advance!

Yes, it did get solved, but it sounds like Google or Nvidia screwed it all up again with the latest releases of Android on the Shield. I'll be reviewing it (again) here soon.

I just tried out the latest beta, but I can't seem to get out of /storage/emulated/0/ Launchbox when importing ROMs, and I also can't set a different mount point currently.

I think until I can get root access and set up a symlink to the NAS under that directory, I'm probably out of luck.  If anyone has any different results, feel free to let me know.  I'm back to monitoring XDA forums for developments

On 1/19/2022 at 3:46 AM, Soop said:

I just tried out the latest beta, but I can't seem to get out of /storage/emulated/0/ Launchbox when importing ROMs, and I also can't set a different mount point currently.

I think until I can get root access and set up a symlink to the NAS under that directory, I'm probably out of luck.  If anyone has any different results, feel free to let me know.  I'm back to monitoring XDA forums for developments

What device are you using? What version of Android is it running?

2 minutes ago, Soop said:

I'm using the Fire HD 8 on Android 9.  I was thinking that the Fire toolkit provided root, but it in fact does not.

Unfortunately we've learned that the Amazon Fire devices are troublesome when it comes to storage. I have no idea why they differ from Android storage everywhere else, but apparently they use different storage security mechanisms. Either that, or they're just broken. As of yet, we have not figured out how to fix the issues with external storage on Fire devices.

Just now, Jason Carr said:

Unfortunately we've learned that the Amazon Fire devices are troublesome when it comes to storage. I have no idea why they differ from Android storage everywhere else, but apparently they use different storage security mechanisms. Either that, or they're just broken. As of yet, we have not figured out how to fix the issues with external storage on Fire devices.

oh, that's interesting - I just assumed the issues were with scoped storage, like everything else.  I don't suppose you have any documentation around where you got to?  If I had a thread to pull, I could poke around on the XDA forums and maybe get a few leads?

2 minutes ago, Soop said:

oh, that's interesting - I just assumed the issues were with scoped storage, like everything else.  I don't suppose you have any documentation around where you got to?  If I had a thread to pull, I could poke around on the XDA forums and maybe get a few leads?

If the Fire device is on Android 9, then scoped storage isn't even a thing on those devices. Scoped storage wasn't released (or at least not required) until Android 11. We've also fixed the scoped storage issues in Android 11+ in the latest LaunchBox betas. But unfortunately, this issue is unrelated, and is specific to the Fire devices.

We have not yet put significant effort into tackling the storage issues on Fire devices, so I don't have any documentation at this point. We've had our hands full with the scoped storage issues, which we just recently fixed.

7 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

If the Fire device is on Android 9, then scoped storage isn't even a thing on those devices. Scoped storage wasn't released (or at least not required) until Android 11. We've also fixed the scoped storage issues in Android 11+ in the latest LaunchBox betas. But unfortunately, this issue is unrelated, and is specific to the Fire devices.

We have not yet put significant effort into tackling the storage issues on Fire devices, so I don't have any documentation at this point. We've had our hands full with the scoped storage issues, which we just recently fixed.

Got it, thanks for the info.  And for the record, I just want you to know, I appreciate the hard work :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought a license thinking a NAS setup would not be a problem since DIG supports it.... Well, I guess I was wrong. 

I'm using a Nvidia Shield TV btw.

I now Nvidia had a pretty hard time with its last update, everything was broken for a few weeks. But since v9.0.1, it's way better.

Can I still hope it will work soon? 🙂

Thanks!