LaunchBox Community Forums

Converting select MAME roms from split to un-merged using Clrmamepro

Reggie10

I'm trying to set up a few non-MAME arcade emulators for games that MAME won't run, and my understanding is that these roms should be un-merged for the best chance of success. I thought converting a few of my split roms to un-merged would be intuitive and straightforward within CMP, but I've been struggling and can't find any good resources online. 

I've created two separate folders (Input and Output) and have set them as Source and Destination in the Rebuilder section of CMP. I've checked the "Non-Merged Sets" radio button. To test things, I put only two roms in the input folder: kof98.zip (King of Fighters 98) and neogeo.zip (its bios). I expected the rebuilder to produce a version of KOF98 that had the neogeo bios built it, but this was not the case; I got the bios missing error when I tried to launch this supposedly "un-merged" kof98.zip without neogeo.zip.

What's more, I'm getting some pretty bizarre stuff in the output folder: kof98, the neogeo bios, and then a whole bunch of kof98 clones, a weird Metal Slug 5 clone, and two variations of SNK vs. Capcom. I'm completely flummoxed and can't make heads or tails out of what CMP is doing. 

I feel like I'm missing something obvious. Any help is MUCH appreciated. 

I wonder if I may have just figured things out (always seems to happen right after I submit a forum post asking for help). I think I had the wrong idea about how files get combined during the rebuilder process. A rom file such as a bios (ex. neogeo) does not actually get integrated into a game rom (ex. kof98) in ANY version of a romset; instead, it is strictly parents and clones that get combined. 

I repeated my test using puckman.zip and pacman.zip and CMP produced a version of pacman that was able to launch without puckman. Still getting all kinds of nutty additional zip files in my output folder and I don't know what that's about, but at least things seem to be working? 

Edited by Reggie10

A couple things:

1. You have to click the Advanced button and make sure the Separate BIOS set is not enabled to make true inclusive rom sets.
  2. When rebuilding, CMP doesn't base the sets it's creates on what is in the input folder per sa. It knows the split or merged set you have in the input folder has roms used by other sets as well, so it tries to create those sets as well and thats why you see more rom sets in your output folder.

To do what you want, you have to click the Set Information button when in the scanner section. When this opens, you will see all the roms and some like Neo-Geo are grouped. Deselect all and than only select the ones you want.

The Set Information tab has some great features. Now that I have my MAME game listed curated, I have a simple text file with all the names of the roms I want. Each MAME release, I bring up the Set Information, deselect everything and select roms by the import file feature there. Only the roms I want update and super fast. The only time this won't work is if the rom set name completely changes (not the roms inside), but that doesn't happen often. (Especially with the common rom sets)

Edited by Headrush69
Clarified info better
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That was extremely helpful. Thanks for the detailed response. Unchecking that box got me to where I wanted, and I was able to create a true "non-merged" KOF98 with an embedded bios. 

I like your method of updating a curated set. To try this, I fired up CMP, ran a new scan, and clicked on the Set Information tab. I clicked "available sets" to select only those I actually have, then exported a document (came out as a .dat file). I converted this to a .txt file, then tried to import that into Set Information, but it doesn't seem to be working. Is there another method of generating the text file I should be using?

Alternatively, what would happen if I loaded the DAT file I generated into the CMP Profiler screen? Would this make CMP "blind" to the roms I don't have, allowing me to just rebuild, scan, and fix files each month as needed?

3 hours ago, Reggie10 said:

I like your method of updating a curated set. To try this, I fired up CMP, ran a new scan, and clicked on the Set Information tab. I clicked "available sets" to select only those I actually have, then exported a document (came out as a .dat file). I converted this to a .txt file, then tried to import that into Set Information, but it doesn't seem to be working. Is there another method of generating the text file I should be using?

Alternatively, what would happen if I loaded the DAT file I generated into the CMP Profiler screen? Would this make CMP "blind" to the roms I don't have, allowing me to just rebuild, scan, and fix files each month as needed?

The problem with DAT files is they contain specifics about the roms in every rom set. That can change with MAME versions.

Once I have my curated list, I just do a directory listing in Powershell, removing the file extension and redirect that output into a text file. This file just lists the rom set name, no details about the roms within. When you import that file in CMP, it will enable those rom sets and automatically grab all the roms within those sets. 

• Thanks 1