LaunchBox Community Forums

LB 12.1 Crashing at launch during at "initializing"

PiperCalls

Hi, I reached out on discord but was directed to the forums.

I have a new PC, installed LB 12.1 (premium). It ran fine for a few days but now when I try to launch it just quits at the "initializing" stage. It's been running fine for a few days since I installed but this just started happening. I really haven't done anything out of the ordinary since installing just added a few emus, games, etc.

I went into my startup.xml and turned debug log on and try to launch. Everything looks fine in the log until this point...

2021-10-19 05:13:45 PM FIRST CHANCE EXCEPTION: An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (0x8007000B)
   at System.Runtime.Loader.AssemblyLoadContext.LoadFromPath(IntPtr ptrNativeAssemblyLoadContext, String ilPath, String niPath, ObjectHandleOnStack retAssembly)
   at System.Runtime.Loader.AssemblyLoadContext.LoadFromAssemblyPath(String assemblyPath)
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFile(String path)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.Program.<>c.ComputeStatementBridge(Object sender, ResolveEventArgs e)

I removed all my xml's from the Data folder but same behavior. I tried to launch BB and it does nothing. I also tried to launch LB & BB in the Core folder and get the same results. I've tried to re-install 12.1 over the top of my install and get the same behavior. I also installed LB 12.1 fresh to a different location and same behavior.

So i'm really stuck at this point. What should I do?

Thanks...Piper

System Specs: Win10 Pro/64, AMD 5600G CPU/GPU, LB 12.1 (premium with license key in folder)

Just FYI, I looked in the Even Viewer and found this. It's greek to me but sounds like the issue...

Log Name:      Application
Source:        .NET Runtime
Date:          10/19/2021 5:43:07 PM
Event ID:      1026
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      DESKTOP-8OISIO0
Description:
Application: LaunchBox.exe
CoreCLR Version: 4.700.20.26901
.NET Core Version: 3.1.6
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly 'CefSharp.Core, Version=83.4.20.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=40c4b6fc221f4138'. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.
File name: 'CefSharp.Core, Version=83.4.20.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=40c4b6fc221f4138' ---> System.BadImageFormatException: An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (0x8007000B)
   at System.Runtime.Loader.AssemblyLoadContext.LoadFromPath(IntPtr ptrNativeAssemblyLoadContext, String ilPath, String niPath, ObjectHandleOnStack retAssembly)
   at System.Runtime.Loader.AssemblyLoadContext.LoadFromAssemblyPath(String assemblyPath)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.Program.<>c.ComputeStatementBridge(Object sender, ResolveEventArgs e)
   at System.Runtime.Loader.AssemblyLoadContext.InvokeResolveEvent(ResolveEventHandler eventHandler, RuntimeAssembly assembly, String name)
   at System.Runtime.Loader.AssemblyLoadContext.OnAssemblyResolve(RuntimeAssembly assembly, String assemblyFullName)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.App..ctor()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.Program.Main(String[] args)

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name=".NET Runtime" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1026</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2021-10-19T22:43:07.1042034Z" />
    <EventRecordID>2160</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-8OISIO0</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Application: LaunchBox.exe
CoreCLR Version: 4.700.20.26901
.NET Core Version: 3.1.6
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly 'CefSharp.Core, Version=83.4.20.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=40c4b6fc221f4138'. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.
File name: 'CefSharp.Core, Version=83.4.20.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=40c4b6fc221f4138' ---&gt; System.BadImageFormatException: An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (0x8007000B)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.Program.&lt;&gt;c.ComputeStatementBridge(Object sender, ResolveEventArgs e)
   at System.Runtime.Loader.AssemblyLoadContext.InvokeResolveEvent(ResolveEventHandler eventHandler, RuntimeAssembly assembly, String name)
   at System.Runtime.Loader.AssemblyLoadContext.OnAssemblyResolve(RuntimeAssembly assembly, String assemblyFullName)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.App..ctor()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.Program.Main(String[] args)

</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Not to send you down a rabbit hole because I’m not sure but Sometimes a virus scanner will quarantine files and break things. Do you have any antivirus that may have run?  If so do you have a log of what it might have picked up?  

Well I got it working so I'll document here for anyone that runs across the same issue. From the Event Viewer log it seemed that something was wrong with my VC stuff so I used add/remove programs to remove all the VC entries, rebooted and reinstalled LB 12.1 over the top. LB re-installed all the VC stuff needed and everything is working great. All my work was preserved as well.

Piper

• 1 year later...

Had the same problem, resolved it by removing the x86 version of the redistributable. The bad image format exception often occurs when trying to load a 32 bit image from a 64 bit context, or vice versa. I'm assuming it was trying to load the x86 libraries for some reason